Re: HEADS UP: Merge of binutils 2.17

From: Erik Cederstrand <erik_at_cederstrand.dk>
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2011 00:10:47 +0100
Hello Pav,

Den 08/01/2011 kl. 20.34 skrev Pav Lucistnik:

> Package cluster is quite clever, akshully, and since this is OT here,
> just terse comments

Sorry, replied to a bad message... redirecting to current_at_

>>> 1. adding SSD disks
>
> irrelevant because of bullet 2.
>
>>> 2. source and destination directories on md devices
>
> already done, swap backed md devices are used
>
>>> 3. huge ccache cache
>>> 4. dist-cc
>
> these tend to have their own issues
>
>>> 5. some heuristics on which ports could be skipped because dependencies haven't changed since last run
>
> this is also already done, we call it "incremental builds"
>
>>> 6. tuning the host system for this specific task
>
> empty words

I was pretty sure I couldn't improve anything with 5 minutes of thinking. I'm glad the most obvious things have already been done, and I'm sure you and others have put a lot of effort into this. My question was more what, if anything, can be done to speed up the cluster.

Also, how long does it take to complete an exp-run on the cluster?

Thanks,
Erik