Re: unknown mtx_assert at /usr/src/sys/x86/x86/io_apic.c:161

From: Michael Jung <mikej_at_paymentallianceintl.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 20:55:11 -0500
John:

Thanks, I actually didnšt see the MCA errors on the screen as the system has
reloaded but noted them in the ddb.txt file last night.

The Motherboard, CPU, Memory and PS were replaced today.  Išll post back if
this has or not corrected the problem but I suspect you are on target in
that the hardware was defective.  This machine was remote and I found the
fan in the power supply not working, so Išm suspecting that the CPU was or
other logic was damaged.

Thanks for your reply.

--mikej

On 1/14/11 4:13 PM, "John Baldwin" <jhb_at_freebsd.org> wrote:

> On Thursday, January 13, 2011 11:26:46 am Michael Jung wrote:
>> > Links to crash info below.
>> > http://216.26.153.6/msgbuf.txt
>
> This might be a hardware problem.  The panic you got is a "should never
> happen" panic.  Note that in the code line sourced, the second argument to
> mtx_assert() is MA_OWNED.  The panic is saying that it is some invalid value
> (i.e. something other than MA_OWNED).  Given that is a constant, that's not
> very likely at all barring some hardware glitch.
>
> You do have a somewhat scary looking machine check logged before your panic:
>
> MCA: Bank 1, Status 0xd000000000000171
> MCA: Global Cap 0x0000000000000105, Status 0x0000000000000000
> MCA: Vendor "AuthenticAMD", ID 0x20fc2, APIC ID 0
> MCA: CPU 0 COR OVER ICACHE L1 EVICT error
>
> It is a correctable error, but given the nature of the panic I'd suspect a
> hardware problem.
>
> mcelog doesn't provide many more details:
>
> HARDWARE ERROR. This is *NOT* a software problem!
> Please contact your hardware vendor
> CPU 0 1 instruction cache
>        bit62 = error overflow (multiple errors)
>   memory/cache error 'evict mem transaction, instruction transaction, level 1'
> STATUS d000000000000171 MCGSTATUS 0
> MCGCAP 105 APICID 0 SOCKETID 0
> CPUID Vendor AMD Family 15 Model 44
>
> --
> John Baldwin

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE: This message is intended only for the use
of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed and may contain
information that is privileged, confidential, and exempt from
disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of this message is
not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any
dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication
is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission
in error, please notify us by telephone at (502) 212-4001 or
notify us at PAI , Dept. 99, 11857 Commonwealth Drive,
Louisville, KY  40299.  Thank you.