Re: Soekris net5501-70 problem with loading ATA modules on FreeBSD-Current

From: Alexander Motin <mav_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2011 22:11:17 +0200
Hi.

Marek Salwerowicz wrote:
> I am unable to dynamically load modules to support ATA disks on soekris
> net5501-70.
>
> I boot via PXE diskless FreeBSD-Current.
> In kernel config there are commented out options:
>
> #device          ata            #device          atadisk
>
> After boot, I load modules:
>
> # kldload ata.ko
> # kldload atapci.ko
> # kldload ataamd
> # kldload atadisk
>
> after that, in dmesg:
>
> atapci0: <AMD ATA controller> port
> 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6,0x170-0x177,0x376,0xe000-0xe00f at device 20.2 on pci0
> atapci0: failed to add ata child device
> atapci0: failed to add ata child device

I think these errors caused by devices created for legacy ISA
compatibility via device hints. Go to device.hints and remove all ATA
stuff from there to force ATA to be detected only via PCI.

Another problem I see here with module load order. Loading atapci before
ataadm will make generic driver attach to controller, not specific one.
Unluckily loading in different order won't help, I think, because ataamd
depends on atapci and will load it automatically.

--
Alexander Motin