Re: RFC vgrind in base (and buildworld)

From: Ulrich Spörlein <uqs_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2011 23:11:43 +0100
On Thu, 20.01.2011 at 15:31:03 -0500, Alexander Kabaev wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Jan 2011 21:17:40 +0100
> Ulrich Spörlein <uqs_at_FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > Currently our buildworld relies on groff(1) and vgrind(1) being
> > present in the host system. I have a patch ready that at least makes
> > sure these are built during bootstrap-tools and completes the
> > WITHOUT_GROFF flag.
> >
> > vgrind(1) is only used for two papers under share/doc and we could
> > easily expand the results and commit them to svn directly, alleviating
> > the need to run vgrind(1) during buildworld.
> >
> > OTOH, there are much more useful tools to vgrind(1) for source code
> > formatting. So do we still have vgrind(1) users out there?
> >
> > Regards,
> > Uli
>
> Why it needs to be in bootsrap tools at all? We have build tools for
> this exact purpose.

Because the legacy target has the nice semantics of calling a tool's
obj,depend,all,install targets instead of doing only `all' or
`build-tool'.

We also currently set GROFF_BIN_PATH, GROFF_FONT_PATH, and
GROFF_TMAC_PATH to point to ${WORLDTMP}/legacy/... so it was trivial to
get groff working that way. I don't know the history of why we actually
do this for groff (it is broken currently), therefore I simply
piggy-backed onto that solution.

I forgot the link earlier:
https://www.spoerlein.net/cgit/cgit.cgi/freebsd.work/log/?h=groff

I wish there was an easy way to cleanly have this as a build-tool. While
we're at it: strfile similarly should be moved to a build-tool, not a
bootstrap-tool, as it is also only used to as a pre-requisite to
building fortune(6).

If someone can come up with a policy of what should go where, I'll
happily try to shoehorn the groff/vgrind/strfile things into it ...

Uli