Re: RFC vgrind in base (and buildworld)

From: Alexander Kabaev <kabaev_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2011 10:25:44 -0500
On Thu, 20 Jan 2011 17:11:13 -0800
Marcel Moolenaar <xcllnt_at_mac.com> wrote:

> On Jan 20, 2011, at 12:31 PM, Alexander Kabaev wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 20 Jan 2011 21:17:40 +0100
> > Ulrich Spörlein <uqs_at_FreeBSD.org> wrote:
> >
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> Currently our buildworld relies on groff(1) and vgrind(1) being
> >> present in the host system. I have a patch ready that at least
> >> makes sure these are built during bootstrap-tools and completes the
> >> WITHOUT_GROFF flag.
> >>
> >> vgrind(1) is only used for two papers under share/doc and we could
> >> easily expand the results and commit them to svn directly,
> >> alleviating the need to run vgrind(1) during buildworld.
> >>
> >> OTOH, there are much more useful tools to vgrind(1) for source code
> >> formatting. So do we still have vgrind(1) users out there?
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >> Uli
> >
> > Why it needs to be in bootsrap tools at all? We have build tools for
> > this exact purpose.
>
> Actually no. The buildtools target is there to allow building programs
> that are not installed, but are otehrwise needed to compile a program.
> These are typically little tools that create source files.
>
> The bootstrap target is the to deal with compatibility in case we
> can't use the version on the host or we don't want to depend on the
> version on the host.

Then it is cross-tools, or whatever build stage that builds new gcc and
other tools which run on host and are used to generate the final target
binaries. The point being that bootstrap-tools target is greatly abused
in src, with recent addition of llvm libs making it almost pandemic.

--
Alexander Kabaev