Re: Cannot switch tty's after install xorg, gnome and gdm

From: David Demelier <demelier.david_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2011 20:01:06 +0100
On 23/01/2011 16:32, LOL wrote:
> Hi guys.
> On every release of freebsd that i tried (-CURRENT, -STABLE, -RELEASE)
> everything goes fine until I install xorg, gdm and gnome by packages
> or not it does not make any difference. When I boot with
> gnome_enable="YES" , and gdm start, when I try to change tty, on every
> tty, its a black screen and my monitor tell me, power saving mode
> enable until I switch back to gdm. I installed the xf86-video-ati
> driver and I have an ati radeon HD 5770.

Hi LOL,

You should try to compile xorg from ports with the WITHOUT_NOUVEAU knob
placed in your /etc/make.conf. This will install a more recent libdrm,
dri and so on. It may helps.

Also see the UPDATING note related to :

20100207:
   AFFECTS: users of Mesa3D libraries and x11-drivers/xf86-video-nouveau
   AUTHOR: nork_at_FreeBSD.org

   If you want to use Mesa3D 7.6.1 and libdrm 2.4.17 rather than 7.4.4
   and 2.4.12, you must define WITHOUT_NOUVEAU global macro, at least,
   enabled on graphics/libGL*, graphics/libglut, graphics/dri,
   graphics/mesa-demos, and graphics/libdrm.  And please give up using
   x11-drivers/xf86-video-nouveau.

   At this time, I cannot enable latest Mesa3D and libdrm, because they
   break xf86-video-nouveau.  But old (current?) Mesa3D and libdrm do not
   break any drivers.

   AMD Radeon HD 2xxx/3xxx/4xxx users: If you use AMD Radeon HD [234]xxx
   series, please define WITHOUT_NOUVEAU global macro.  You can then use
   OpenGL Hardware Accelerator feature on these series.

Cheers,

--
David Demelier