FreeBSD Status Report - 4Q/2010

From: Daniel Gerzo <danger_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2011 13:20:15 +0000
FreeBSD Quarterly Status Report

Introduction

   This report covers FreeBSD-related projects between October and
   December 2010. It is the last of the four reports planned for 2010. The
   work on the new minor versions of FreeBSD, 7.4 and 8.2, has been
   progressing well and they should be released around the end of this
   month.

   Thanks to all the reporters for the excellent work! This report
   contains 37 entries and we hope you enjoy reading it.

   Please note that the deadline for submissions covering the period
   between January and March 2011 is April 15th, 2011.

Projects

     * BSDInstall
     * Non-executable Stacks
     * Webcamd
     * xz Compression for Packages and Log Files
     * ZFS pool version 28

FreeBSD Team Reports

     * FreeBSD Bugbusting Team Status Report
     * Release Engineering Team Status Report
     * The FreeBSD Foundation Status Report

Network Infrastructure

     * DIstributed Firewall and Flow-shaper Using Statistical Evidence
       (DIFFUSE)
     * Ethernet Switch Framework
     * Five New TCP Congestion Control Algorithms for FreeBSD
     * FreeBSD 802.11n
     * FreeBSD VirtIO Network Driver
     * Generic IEEE 802.3 annex 31B full duplex flow control support for
       Ethernet in mii(4)
     * IPv6 and VIMAGE
     * TCP SMP scalability project

Kernel

     * Resource Containers
     * SYSCTL Type Safety
     * TRIM support for UFS

Documentation

     * mdocml Replacing groff For manpage Rendering
     * The FreeBSD German Documentation Project Status Report
     * The FreeBSD Japanese Documentation Project

Userland Programs

     * FreeBSD Services Control (fsc)
     * GEOM-based ataraid(4) Replacement -- geom_raid
     * gpart Improvements

Architectures

     * Bringing up OMAP3
     * FreeBSD on the Playstation 3
     * FreeBSD/EC2
     * FreeBSD/sparc64

Ports

     * Chromium
     * FreeBSD as Home Theater PC
     * Port-Sandbox
     * Portmaster
     * Ports Additions
     * Ports Collection
     * Robot Operating System

Miscellaneous

     * FOSDEM 2011

Bringing up OMAP3

   Contact: Warner Losh <imp_at_bsdimp.com>
   Contact: Mohammed Farrag <mfarrag_at_FreeBSD.org>

   The attached file is an old patch for ARM. We are developing new patch
   and then we are going toward Porting OMAP3.

BSDInstall

   Contact: Nathan Whitehorn <nwhitehorn_at_FreeBSD.org>

   BSDInstall is a replacement for the venerable sysinstall installer. It
   is designed to be modular and easily extensible, while being fully
   scriptable and streamlining the installation process. It is mostly
   complete, and installs working systems on i386, amd64, sparc64,
   powerpc, and powerpc64, with untested PC98 support.

   New Features:
     * Allows installation onto GPT disks on x86 systems
     * Can do installations spanning multiple disks
     * Allows installation into jails
     * Eases PXE installation
     * Virtualization friendly: can install from a live system onto disk
       images
     * Works on PowerPC
     * Streamlined system installation
     * More flexible scripting
     * Easily tweakable
     * All install CDs are live CDs

Open tasks:

    1. Wireless networking configuration wizard.
    2. ZFS installation support.
    3. Itanium disk setup.

Chromium

   Contact: René Ladan <freebsd-chromium_at_FreeBSD.org>

   We are working on updating the Chromium web browser in our ports to
   stay up to date with the latest supported release. We currently have
   the Chromium 9 beta running, but not all features are fully implemented
   and the port still needs some polish before it can be committed to the
   Ports Collection. We have also been making arrangements with Google to
   merge our work with their upstream, which should ease the number of
   features and fixes we have to maintain for ourselves in the future. Our
   first release should be in a few weeks and coincide with the official
   release of Chromium 9.

DIstributed Firewall and Flow-shaper Using Statistical Evidence (DIFFUSE)

   Contact: Sebastian Zander <szander_at_swin.edu.au>
   Contact: Grenville Armitage <garmitage_at_swin.edu.au>

   DIFFUSE is a system enabling FreeBSD's IPFW firewall subsystem to
   classify IP traffic based on statistical traffic properties.

   With DIFFUSE, IPFW computes statistics (such as packet lengths or
   inter-packet time intervals) for observed flows, and uses ML (machine
   learning) techniques to assign flows into classes. In addition to
   traditional packet inspection rules, IPFW rules may now also be
   expressed in terms of traffic statistics or classes identified by ML
   classification. This can be helpful when direct packet inspection is
   problematic (perhaps for administrative reasons, or because port
   numbers do not reliably identify applications).

   DIFFUSE also enables one instance of IPFW to send flow information and
   classes to other IPFW instances, which then can act on such traffic
   (e.g. prioritise, accept, deny, etc) according to its class. This
   allows for distributed architectures, where classification at one
   location in your network is used to control fire-walling or
   rate-shaping actions at other locations.

   In December 2010 we released DIFFUSE v0.1, a set of patches for
   FreeBSD-CURRENT. It can be downloaded from the project's web site. The
   web site also contains a more comprehensive introduction, including
   application examples, links to related work and documentation
   describing the software design.

   We hope to release DIFFUSE v0.2 soon. Keep an eye on the freebsd-ipfw
   and freebsd-net mailing lists for project-related announcements.

Ethernet Switch Framework

   Contact: Luiz Otavio O. Souza <loos.br_at_gmail.com>

   Implementation of a framework for ethernet switch control (directly
   connected to the ethernet MAC controller) usually found on embedded
   systems. Currently based on ifconfig keywords, adds the vlan control
   (filter/pass) on each switch port and adds the possibility for the
   management of media state on interfaces with multiple PHYs.

   Currently, the code supports the IP175D (from some mikrotik
   routerboards) and AR8316 (from Ubiquiti RSPRO) switches.

Open tasks:

    1. Finish the IP175C driver (and maybe IP178x).
    2. Better integration with miibus (rewrite of switchbus).
    3. Fix (some) ifconfig keywords (better keywords, better usage
       compatibility).
    4. Export the ports statistics through SNMP (if available on switch
       chip).
    5. Add a swctl tool (?) for global settings management.
    6. Write usage examples and the man page information about the new
       ifconfig(8) keywords.

Five New TCP Congestion Control Algorithms for FreeBSD

   Contact: David Hayes <dahayes_at_swin.edu.au>
   Contact: Lawrence Stewart <lastewart_at_swin.edu.au>
   Contact: Grenville Armitage <garmitage_at_swin.edu.au>
   Contact: Rui Paulo <rpaulo_at_FreeBSD.org>
   Contact: Bjoern Zeeb <bz_at_FreeBSD.org>

   The project is nearing completion, with the following code already
   available in the svn head branch:
     * Modular congestion control framework.
     * Modularised implementations of NewReno, CUBIC and HTCP congestion
       control algorithms.
     * Khelp (Kernel Helper) and Hhook (Helper Hook) frameworks.
     * Basic Khelp/Hhook integration with the TCP stack.

   The ERTT (Enhanced Round Trip Time) Khelp module is days away from
   being imported, which will then pave the way for the delay based
   congestion control algorithms to follow. Finally, a large documentation
   dump will be committed in the form of new and updated man pages.

   We anticipate the project will conclude around the end of January 2011.

Open tasks:

    1. Import the ERTT Khelp module.
    2. Import the VEGAS, HD and CHD delay based congestion control
       algorithm modules.
    3. Import the documentation dump for all the code
       contributed/developed as part of the project.

FOSDEM 2011

   Contact: Marius Nuennerich <marius_at_nuenneri.ch>
   Contact: Daniel Seuffert <ds_at_FreeBSD.org>

   FOSDEM 2011 will be held from Saturday, February 5th to Sunday February
   6th in Brussels, Belgium. We will have a FreeBSD booth and a developers
   room. At the booth there will be friendly supporters and a FreeBSD
   Foundation member answering questions. The devroom will have 6 1-hour
   long talks about different topics, technical and social. FOSDEM is one
   of the biggest open-source events in Europe. It is completly free and
   no registration is required.

Open tasks:

    1. Get more people involved as helpers for the booth and the devroom
       are still needed. Please contact Daniel or Marius if you want to
       help out.

FreeBSD 802.11n

   Contact: Adrian Chadd <adrian_at_FreeBSD.org>
     * Net80211 station mode works in 2.4ghz HT/20 mode. HT/40 and 5ghz do
       not currently work.
     * Basic 802.11 TX and RX on the AR9160 works, from MCS0 to MCS15
     * TX A-MPDU and A-MSDU do not currently implemented - so no aggregate
       TX will happen
     * RX A-MPDU and A-MSDU is implemented and is supposed to work but
       does not -- this needs to be debugged
     * 802.11n RTS/CTS protection for legacy packets does not currently
       work. There is some magic required to fix the TX packet length.
       This is in progress.
     * WPA2 now works - a commit which enabled the hardware multicast
       broke AES-CCMP encryption on at least the AR9160. Further
       investigation is needed to fix this (and any other hardware
       encryption bugs that are lurking.

FreeBSD as Home Theater PC

   Contact: Bernhard Froehlich <decke_at_FreeBSD.org>
   Contact: Juergen Lock <nox_at_FreeBSD.org>

   FreeBSD could be a much better platform for a Home Theater PC than it
   currently is. We are focusing on improving support for media center
   applications. Extending the major ports (MythTV, VDR, XBMC) and create
   some documentation to guide interested people.

Open tasks:

    1. Improve remote control support in webcamd and with lirc.
    2. Port more Media Center applications (Enna, me-tv, ...).
    3. Create a small guide on how to build a great FreeBSD Home Theater
       PC.

FreeBSD Bugbusting Team Status Report

   Contact: Gavin Atkinson <gavin_at_FreeBSD.org>
   Contact: Mark Linimon <linimon_at_FreeBSD.org>
   Contact: Remko Lodder <remko_at_FreeBSD.org>
   Contact: Volker Werth <vwe_at_FreeBSD.org>

   The number of non-ports PRs has held relatively steady over the last
   three months, with a slightly improved resolution rate being offset by
   a slightly increased rate of new arrivals. Ports PRs have increased
   slightly in numbers, due in part to the ports freeze in the lead up to
   the release of FreeBSD 7.4 and FreeBSD 8.2. The numbers traditionally
   drop quickly again once the freeze is lifted.

   In October, Gavin Atkinson and Mark Linimon held a session at the
   FreeBSD Developers' Summit at EuroBSDCon, which led to some productive
   discussions, and a number of people expressing interest in becoming
   more involved with PR triaging and resolution.

   The bugbusting team continue work on trying to make the contents of the
   GNATS PR database cleaner, more accessible and easier for committers to
   find and resolve PRs, by tagging PRs to indicate the areas involved,
   and by ensuring that there is sufficient info within each PR to resolve
   each issue.

   Reports continue to be produced from the PR database, all of which can
   be found from the links above. Committers interested in custom reports
   are encouraged to discuss requirements with bugmeister_at_ - we are happy
   to create new reports where needs are identified.

   As always, anybody interested in helping out with the PR queue is
   encouraged to do so, the easiest way being to join us on IRC in
   #freebsd-bugbusters on EFnet. We are always looking for additional
   help, whether your interests lie in triaging incoming PRs, generating
   patches to resolve existing problems, or simply helping with the
   database housekeeping (identifying duplicate PRs, ones that have
   already been resolved, etc). This is a great way of getting more
   involved with FreeBSD!

Open tasks:

    1. Try to find ways to get more committers helping us with closing PRs
       that the team has already analyzed.
    2. Try to get more non-committers involved with the triaging of PRs as
       they come in, and generating patches to fix reported problems.

FreeBSD on the Playstation 3

   Contact: Nathan Whitehorn <nwhitehorn_at_FreeBSD.org>

   On January 5, support for the Playstation 3 was imported into FreeBSD
   9.0-CURRENT. This port is still somewhat raw (only netbooting is
   supported, no access to the SPUs, etc.), but hardware support should be
   more fleshed out by the time FreeBSD 9.0 is released. The port uses the
   OtherOS mechanism, and so requires a "fat" console with firmware
   earlier than 3.21.

Open tasks:

    1. SATA driver.
    2. Sound support.
    3. SPU driver.

FreeBSD Services Control (fsc)

   Contact: Tom Rhodes <trhodes_at_FreeBSD.org>

   FreeBSD Services Control is a mix of binaries which integrate into the
   rc.d system and provide for service (daemon) monitoring. It knows about
   signals, pidfiles, and uses very little resources.

   The fscd utilities will be set up as a port and, hopefully, dropped
   into the ports collection in the coming weeks. This will allow easier
   testing by everyone and it should make migration into -CURRENT much
   easier.

FreeBSD VirtIO Network Driver

   html

   Contact: Bryan V. <deboomerang_at_gmail.com>

   VirtIO is a device framework offered by KVM/Qemu and Virtualbox to
   allow guests to achieve better I/O performance. A beta network driver
   was made available earlier this month, and work continues on completing
   the block device and refinements the existing network driver.

FreeBSD/EC2

   Contact: Colin Percival <cperciva_at_FreeBSD.org>

   FreeBSD is now able to run on t1.micro instances in the Amazon EC2
   cloud. FreeBSD 9.0 is not very stable, but it seems likely that FreeBSD
   8.2-RELEASE will approach the stability normally expected of FreeBSD.

   A list of available FreeBSD AMIs (EC2 machine images) appears on the
   FreeBSD/EC2 status page.

Open tasks:

    1. Bring FreeBSD to a wider range of EC2 instance types.
    2. Completely rework the locking in head/sys/i386/xen/pmap.c to
       eliminate races and make 9.0-CURRENT stable under
       paravirtualization.
    3. Track down several possibly-related problems with scheduling and
       timekeeping.
    4. Fix other issues shown on the FreeBSD/EC2 status page.

FreeBSD/sparc64

   Contact: Marius Strobl <marius_at_FreeBSD.org>

   CPUTYPE support for sparc64 has been added to CURRENT in r216820. The
   three flavors currently supported are "ultrasparc", "ultrasparc3" and
   "v9". So it is now possible to let the compiler produce code optimize
   for the family of UltraSPARC-III CPUs by setting CPUTYPE to
   "ultrasparc3". Setting it to "ultrasparc" as well as omitting it
   completely optimizes for UltraSPARC-I/II family CPUs as before. Support
   for generating generic 64-bit V9 code was mainly added for reference
   purposes. As it turned out, at least for SPARC64-V CPUs running code
   optimized for UltraSPARC-III CPUs does not perform measurably better
   than UltraSPARC-I/II one though so the default is just fine for these.
   This change was merged into 7-STABLE in r217005 and into 8-STABLE in
   r217004 respectively, neither 7.4-RELEASE nor 8.2-RELEASE will include
   it though.

   Support for a certain feature available with UltraSPARC-III+ and
   greater, i.e. with all sun4u CPUs following the original
   UltraSPARC-III, has been added to CURRENT in r216803. The net effect of
   this change is that we now can use a kernel TSB and thus a kernel
   address space of virtually any size up to the full 64-bit address space
   on machines equipped with these CPUs, apart from the fact that 1GB of
   address space still takes up 4MB worth of data structures. Before, the
   theoretical limit was 16GB due to the fact that the MMUs of these
   UltraSPARC CPUs only have 16 lockable TLB slots (UltraSPARC-I/II have
   64 and SPARC64 CPUs again have at least 32), with the actual limit
   being several GB below that because we need some of these slots also
   for mapping the PROM, the kernel itself and in MP-systems the per-CPU
   page. Currently, the kernel TSB and thus the kernel virtual address
   space is now always sized one time the physical memory present in these
   machines with the plan being to actually allow to it extend beyond the
   size of the RAM as this helps especially ZFS. Most of this is
   implemented by patching the instructions used to access the kernel TSB
   based on the CPU present, so the run-time overhead of this change is
   rather low. Once it is also enabled and successfully tested with
   SPARC64 CPUs this change will be merged back into the supported stable
   branch(es).

   Theoretically it should be also possible to use the same approach for
   the user TSB, which already is not locked into the TLB but can cause
   nested traps. However, for reasons I do not understand yet, OpenSolaris
   only does this with SPARC64 CPUs. On the other hand I think that also
   using it for the user TSB and thus avoiding nested traps would get us
   closer to running the FreeBSD/sparc64 code on machines equipped with
   sun4v CPUs, which only supports trap level 0 and 1, too, so eventually
   we could have a single kernel which runs on both sun4u and sun4v
   machines (as does Linux and OpenBSD).

   Work on adding support for Sun Fire 3800 and similar models has begun
   but still is in its early stages.

Generic IEEE 802.3 annex 31B full duplex flow control support for Ethernet in
mii(4)

   Contact: Marius Strobl <marius_at_FreeBSD.org>

   In r213878 a NetBSD-compatible mii_attach() was added to mii(4) as an
   replacement for mii_phy_probe() and subsequently all Ethernet device
   drivers in the tree which use this framework were converted to take
   advantage of the former. This allowed to considerably clean up mii(4)
   as well as the converted MAC and PHY drivers and get rid of quite a few
   hacks, amongst others the infamous "EVIL HACK". However, the main
   motivation of this change was to allow the addition of generic IEEE
   802.3 annex 31B full duplex flow control support to mii(4), which was
   ported from NetBSD but also enhanced and fixed quite a bit and
   committed in r215297. Along with this bge(4), bce(4), msk(4), nfe(4)
   and stge(4) as well as brgphy(4), e1000phy(4) and ip1000phy(4), which
   previously all implemented their own flow control support based on
   mostly undocumented special media flags separately, were converted to
   take advantage of the generic support. At least for CURRENT this means
   that these drivers now no longer unconditionally advertise support for
   flow control but only do so if flow control was selected as media
   option. The reason for implementing the generic flow control support
   that way was to allow it to be switched on and off via ifconfig(8) with
   the PHY specific default to typically being off in order to protect
   from unwanted effects. Subsequently support for flow control based on
   the generic support was added to alc(4), fxp(4), cas(4), gem(4),
   jme(4), re(4) and xl(4) as well as atphy(4), bmtphy(4), gentbi(4),
   inphy(4), jmphy(4), nsgphy(4), nsphyter(4) and rgephy(4). For several
   of the remaining Ethernet drivers it also would only require minor
   changes to enable flow control support if supported by the respective
   MAC. Due to the fact that each implementation should be thoroughly
   tested and tuned this was only done for drivers were hardware was
   available though.

   An example for identifying support for flow control based on the
   generic implementation in the dmesg-output for a certain
   MAC-PHY-combination would be:

     bge0: <Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet Controller, ASIC rev.
     0x002003> mem 0 xfe010000-0xfe01ffff,0xfe000000-0xfe00ffff irq 25 at
     device 2.0 on pci2
     bge0: CHIP ID 0x00002003; ASIC REV 0x02; CHIP REV 0x20; PCI-X
     miibus0: <MII bus> on bge0
     brgphy0: <BCM5704 10/100/1000baseTX PHY> PHY 1 on miibus0
     brgphy0: 10baseT, 10baseT-FDX, 100baseTX, 100baseTX-FDX, 1000baseT,
     1000baseT-master, 1000baseT-FDX, 1000baseT-FDX-master, auto,
     auto-flow

   or in the output of ifconfig -m for a given device:

     supported media:

     media autoselect mediaopt flowcontrol

   The latter also is what one would use to enable flow control for such a
   device, i.e.:

     ifconfig bge0 media autoselect mediaopt flowcontrol

   or in order to turn it off again:

     ifconfig bge0 media autoselect -mediaopt flowcontrol

   Note that some PHY drivers, currently only rgephy(4) though, also
   support enabling flow control support when using manual media
   configuration like in the following example:

     ifconfig re0 media autoselect mediaopt full-fuplex,flowcontrol

   In CURRENT this can also be further abbreviated (support for this will
   eventually be merged back into the supported stable branch(es) but not
   be present in 7.4-RELEASE or 8.2-RELEASE) as:

     ifconfig re0 media auto mediaopt fdx,flow

   For a device which has successfully negotiated flow control support
   with its link partner will report it in the output of ifconfig along
   with the available directions like in the following example:

     media: Ethernet autoselect <flowcontrol> (100baseTX <full-duplex,
     flowcontrol,rxpause,txpause>)

   Another thing that was introduced with r215297 was generic support for
   setting 1000baseT master mode via a media option when using manual
   media configuration. Consequently, brgphy(4), ciphy(4), e1000phy(4) as
   well as ip1000phy(4) have been converted to take advantage of this
   generic support. At least for CURRENT this means that these drivers now
   no longer take the link0 parameter for selecting master mode but the
   master media option has to be used instead like in the following
   example:

     ifconfig bge0 media 1000baseT mediaopt full-duplex,master

   Selection of master mode now is also available with all other PHY
   drivers supporting 1000baseT.

   With the exception of the media option abbreviations all of the above
   mentioned changes were merged into 7-STABLE in r215879 and into
   8-STABLE in r215881 respectively. This means that they will be part of
   7.4-RELEASE and 8.2-RELEASE. In order to no break POLA, unlike as in
   CURRENT bge(4), bce(4), msk(4), nfe(4) and stge(4) were changed to
   continue to always advertise support of flow control to their link
   partners in these stable branches with no way to turn that off as they
   also did before with their custom implementations. Additionally,
   brgphy(4), ciphy(4), e1000phy(4) as well as ip1000phy(4) were changed
   to still also accept the link0 parameter in addition to the master
   media option for setting master mode.

Open tasks:

    1. We actually miserably fail to properly document the available media
       types and options in manual pages. For example several of the media
       lists in manual pages of MAC drivers like bge(4) already were
       outdated and with the addition of generic flow control and
       1000baseT master mode support these are now even more outdated. Yet
       worse is the fact that for MAC drivers which use the mii(4)
       framework it is technically just plain wrong to include these lists
       in their manual page as the PHY drivers actually are responsible
       for handling the media types and options. However, given that the
       PHY drivers determine the available media types and options mostly
       dynamically at run-time it generally makes no sense to have static
       documentation of these in their manual pages (apart from the fact
       that we currently have no manual pages for PHY drivers). One good
       way out of this should be to replace the media lists in MAC drivers
       using mii(4) with just a note to check the output of ifconfig -m to
       get a list of the media types and options actually supported by a
       given device and to add a generic ifmedia(4) manual page which
       provides some general background information about media types and
       options similar to what NetBSD and OpenBSD also have.

GEOM-based ataraid(4) Replacement -- geom_raid

   Contact: Alexander Motin <mav_at_FreeBSD.org>
   Contact: M. Warner Losh <imp_at_FreeBSD.org>

   New project started to create GEOM-based replacement for ataraid(4) --
   software RAID, that will be obsoleted by migration to the new CAM-based
   ATA implementation.

   This implementation planned with accent to modular design, that
   includes common core and two sets of modules, handling data
   transformations (RAID levels) and on-disk metadata formats specifics.
   Such design should make further extension easier.

   At this moment work focused around RAID0/RAID1 transformations and
   Intel metadata format. Module is now able to read, write and create
   Intel volumes. Error recovery and rebuild work is now in progress.
   Support for other RAID levels and metadata formats, supported by
   ataraid(4), planned later.

   This project is sponsored by Cisco Systems, Inc.

Open tasks:

    1. Complete error recovery/rebuild work and stabilize modules API.
    2. Implement metadata modules for other formats.
    3. Implement transformation modules for other RAID levels.

gpart Improvements

   Contact: Andrey V. Elsukov <ae_at_FreeBSD.org>

   GEOM class PART is the default disk partitioning class since FreeBSD
   8.0. Compared to 8.1 now it does have several new features: Partition
   resizing. New "gpart resize" subcommand was implemented for all
   partitioning schemes but EBR. GPT recovering. Guid Partition Table does
   have redundant metadata and it can be recovered when some of them is
   damaged. New "gpart recover" subcommand was implemented for that
   purpose. Ability to backup/restore of partition table. New "gpart
   backup" and "gpart restore" subcommands were implemented.

IPv6 and VIMAGE

   Contact: Bjoern A. Zeeb <bz_at_FreeBSD.org>

   During the last quarter a lot of work was spent on quality time hunting
   down and fixing open bugs and races in the network stack, mostly IPv6,
   as well as testing and getting virtualized network stack parts more
   stable. Tests for the pf(4) firewall update were started with VIMAGE.
   In addition Viagenie's NAT64 patch was ported over.

mdocml Replacing groff For manpage Rendering

   Contact: Ulrich Spörlein <uqs_at_FreeBSD.org>

   Kristaps' groff-replacement (only for rendering manual pages) is
   already available in NetBSD and OpenBSD, and used to render the base
   system manpages for the latter. This project aims to do similar things
   for FreeBSD. Since the last status report, mdocml has grown rudimentary
   tbl(1) support and a whole lot of bugfixes have gone in. A groff port
   has been created and needs some more testing before it can be committed
   to the tree. Also the WITHOUT_GROFF support in base has been fleshed
   out and is awaiting review before commit.

Open tasks:

    1. Get ru_at_ to review WITHOUT_GROFF changes.
    2. Get textproc/groff tested and committed.
    3. Push more mdoc fixes into the tree.
    4. Import mandoc(1), switch to catpages for base. Discuss future of
       groff in base wrt. share/doc.
    5. Supply necessary ports infrastructure to opt-in to mandoc(1).

Non-executable Stacks

   Contact: Konstantin Belousov <kib_at_FreeBSD.org>

   The support for non-executable stacks, using the approach identical to
   one used by GNU toolchain and Linux'es, is implemented for amd64 and
   PowerPC. The support is already committed to HEAD. For now,
   non-executable stacks are turned off by default.

   I plan to provide a detailed information to ports_at_ and switch the knob
   after port tree is unfrozed for 7.4/8.2 releases.

Port-Sandbox

   ml

   Contact: Marcelo Araujo <araujo_at_FreeBSD.org>

   Port-Sandbox now works properly and it is able to run by itself through
   an embedded web server and bring a lot of information about the port
   build process and all dependencies related. Currently Port-Sandbox is
   in the final stage and needs only only a few code changes, more tests
   and should also be included in the ports tree.

Open tasks:

    1. Change the way how it connects to database, fix it to maintain a
       persistent connection.
    2. Remove any kind of internal configuration from source code to an
       external file configuration.
    3. Create a Port-Sandbox port with all dependencies related to it and
       test it in a clean system.
    4. Create some documentation to let other people to keep helping
       Port-Sandbox to grow up.
    5. Finally, release it.

Portmaster

   Contact: Doug Barton <dougb_at_FreeBSD.org>

   Portmaster version 3.6.1 is now in the ports tree, and the emphasis in
   the last year has been on improving the stability and performance of
   existing features, with a few new features sprinkled in. A lot of work
   has gone into error handling, both for unexpected states in the ports
   system and for user input. For example, all prompts are now wrapped in
   code to verify that what was entered was one of the valid options.

   Perhaps the most interesting new element is that for the features -e,
   -s, --clean-distfiles, --clean-packages, --check-depends and
   --check-port-dbdir you can now specify either -y or -n to automatically
   provide the corresponding answer to the yes/no questions. The -o, -r,
   and --index-only options have received major overhauls, and now either
   work better or at least as advertised.

   There has also been a lot of work put into reducing the memory
   footprint, especially in the environment variables that are shared
   between the parent and child processes. And for those operating without
   a local ports tree (--index-only/--packages-only) all of the features
   that can work without the ports tree now do.

   Significant support for the upgrading of operating without a ports tree
   was provided by GridFury, LLC. Their support, as well as the support
   received from other members of the community continues to be greatly
   appreciated.

Open tasks:

    1. There are still interesting features that have been suggested by
       users listed on the page above that I have not been able to work
       on, but would like to be able to.

Ports Additions

   Contact: Josh Paetzel <jpaetzel_at_FreeBSD.org>

   Bigbluebutton has joined the list of ready to run applications in the
   ports tree. Dru Lavigne has been instrumental on getting it to run, as
   well as offering suggestions for improvements to the port.

   smb4k was updated to the latest release version, which requires kde4.
   This was enough of a change that a new port was created,
   net/smb4k-kde4. the initial port went through a number of quick
   changes, including a patch to the source code to fix a FreeBSD source
   code submitted by PC-BSD's Kris Moore. This application greatly eases
   the task of working with samba shares in a FreeBSD environment.

   Freeswitch is the result of 3 Asterisk developers working on a VoIP
   package that fulfills their goals. They have switched away from a
   release model to a "just run latest SVN checkout" model. With the help
   of Richard Neese and Eric Crist, static snapshots of their SVN repo
   have been taken, the port has been modified to use the newer version,
   and extensive build and run testing has been done.

Ports Collection

   Contact: Thomas Abthorpe <portmgr-secretary_at_FreeBSD.org>
   Contact: Port Management Team <portmgr_at_FreeBSD.org>

   The ports tree slowly moves up closer to 23,000. The PR count still
   remains at about 1000.

   In Q4 we added 2 new committers, took in 2 commit bit for safe keeping,
   and welcomed back 4 returning committers.

   The Ports Management team bid farewell to Kris Kennaway in November
   2010. Kris was the root of krismail, the mail we all got from time to
   time when ports broke on pointyhat. Kris did a lot of work benchmarking
   and testing FreeBSD for stability, scalability and usability.

   Mark Linimon has put a lot of effort into refactoring and refining the
   code that runs the 'pointyhat' package build dispatch system. In 2010,
   the FreeBSD Foundation purchased for portmgr a pair of new machines,
   pointyhat-west and pointyhat-east, to take over from the existing
   machine. (The new machines have much greater RAM, CPU, and disk
   capacity.) However, to properly utilize them, the existing code needed
   to be generalized.

   Persistent bugs, and some hardware troubles, have delayed the rollout
   far beyond what was originally planned, but there appears to be light
   at the end of the tunnel. (And, this time, it does not appear to be an
   oncoming train.)

   A document entitled "Mentoring Guidelines" as been circulated among
   ports developers, and has been greeted with a lot of positive feedback,
   and updates have been included. In the short term, updated copies will
   be maintained at
   http://people.FreeBSD.org/~portmgr/mentor_guidelines.txt.asc.

   The Ports Management team have been running -exp runs on an ongoing
   basis, verifying how base system updates may affect the ports tree, as
   well as providing QA runs for major ports updates. Of note, -exp runs
   were done for:
     * ade: multiple runs for autotools refactoring
     * ed: test to replace libgcc.a with libcompiler_rt.a
     * jiles: test sh(1) against r212508
     * kde: Qt 4.7.0 update
     * kde: KDE 4.5.4 updte
     * kwm: Gnome 2.32 update
     * ports/144164: ensure package-noinstall target include rc.d scripts
     * ports/145598: include etc/devd in mtree
     * ports/145955: silence make fetch-required-list
     * ports/147701: perform DESKTOP_ENTRIES sanity check
     * ports/149657: removal of MD5 checksums
     * ports/149670: remove checks in _OPTIONSFILE
     * ports/150303: for INSTALL_LIBS
     * ports/150337: for PLIST_DIRSTRY
     * ports/151047: pass CPP to CONFIGURE/MAKE_ENV
     * ports/151799: fix PLIST_DIRSTRY
     * ports/151806: remove 2004 legacy hack
     * ports/152055 and ports/152059: for pear infrastructure
     * ports/152558: boost update
     * ports/152626: fix pkg-message display if installed from package
     * ports/152964: embed LICENSE name for STDOUT
     * ports/153018: implement variables in Mozilla dependencies
     * ports/153033: fix un-escaped shell metacharacters
     * ports/153041: clean up ruby plists
     * ports/153132: autotools cleanup
     * ports/153318: set PGSQL default to 8.4

Open tasks:

    1. Looking for help fixing ports broken on CURRENT.
    2. Looking for help with Tier-2 architectures.
    3. Most ports PRs are assigned, we now need to focus on testing,
       committing and closing.

Release Engineering Team Status Report

   Contact: Release Engineering Team <re_at_FreeBSD.org>

   The Release Engineering Team reports the joint release of FreeBSD 7.4
   and 8.2 has been delayed slightly but should be completed within a week
   or two of the original schedule:
   http://www.FreeBSD.org/releases/7.4R/schedule.html
   http://www.FreeBSD.org/releases/8.2R/schedule.html

Resource Containers

   Contact: Edward Tomasz Napierala <trasz_at_FreeBSD.org>

   The goal of this project is to implement resource containers and a
   per-jail resource limits mechanism, so that system administrators can
   partition resources like memory or CPU between jails and prevent users
   from DoS-ing the whole system. Project is close to completion. One big
   item that needs to be fixed before releasing a patch for people to test
   is %CPU accounting; initial idea of just using %CPU calculated by the
   scheduler turned out to be useless. Implementing it cleanly will also
   make it easier to support other similar resources (e.g.
   writes-per-second) in the future.

Robot Operating System

   Contact: René Ladan <rene_at_FreeBSD.org>

   Porting ROS to FreeBSD started in March 2010. In May 2010, it was
   possible to build devel/ros without needing to apply patches, but some
   more changes were necessary to be able to write a port for it.
   Currently this and several other ports related to ROS are available,
   most notably devel/ros-tutorials to get up and running with ROS and
   devel/ros-nxt to use LEGO Mindstorms NXT robots with ROS and FreeBSD.

Open tasks:

    1. Port the software required for nxt-rviz-plugin, which is part of
       devel/ros-nxt but currently excluded from the build.

SYSCTL Type Safety

   Contact: Matthew Fleming <mdf_at_FreeBSD.org>

   I started upstreaming a patch from Isilon that adds type-checking to
   the various SYSCTL_FOO and SYSCTL_ADD_FOO macros for various scalar
   types, which has turned into quite the discussion on the src mailing
   list. The type-checking macros are committed to sys/sysctl.h but under
   #if 0.

Open tasks:

    1. As of right now, it looks like I will be rolling a new sysctl macro
       for the kernel that detects they type at compile time and does the
       Right Thing. Existing uses of the legacy SYSCTL_FOO and
       SYSCTL_ADD_FOO for scalar types can be replaced, and will probably
       turn into invocations of the new interface via preprocessor macro.

TCP SMP scalability project

   Contact: Robert Watson <rwatson_at_FreeBSD.org>

   A long-running TCP SMP scalability project is beginning to wrap up,
   with the goal of committing a large outstanding patch to the FreeBSD
   9.x tree in the next month. This work implements a derivative of
   Willman, Rixner, and Cox's TCP connection group model, blended with
   support for hardware load distribution features in contemporary NICs
   (including RSS). Additional software distribution support can do work
   redistribution based on new notions of CPU affinity for individual TCP
   connections.

   On-going work is refining performance on non-RSS supporting
   configurations, and adding APIs to allow socket affinity to be queried
   (and where supported) set by applications. These changes significantly
   improve network scalability by reducing global lock contention,
   encouraging CPU affinity for connections, and avoiding cache line
   contention. The goal is to allow steady-state TCP connections to use
   only CPU-local cache lines, with work distributed to all CPUs. Current
   performance results are extremely promising.

   This project has been sponsored by Juniper Networks.

Open tasks:

    1. Allow the hash model to be selected at boot-time or run-time rather
       than compile-time; currently "options RSS" enables RSS support
       unconditionally -- for systems without RSS NICs, this leads to a
       small one-time performance penalty at the creation of each call to
       bind() or connect().
    2. Add missing socket options to query (and override) default CPU
       affinity for connections, which is derived from the active software
       or hardware hash model.
    3. Teach the network stack and appropriate NIC drivers to propagate
       software-overridden connection affinity to hardware using new
       device driver ioctls for managing TCAMs and hardware hash tables.
    4. Refine software redistribution of work in the event that there are
       fewer hardware queues than available CPU threads in which to
       process packets; the current prototype is able to do this with
       significant performance benefits, but the model requires refining.
    5. Experiment with (and measure) software work redistribution at
       run-time based on RSS bucket rearrangement. This will require a new
       event notification to device drivers so that they can update
       hardware caches of the network stack's authoritative table.
    6. Commit.

The FreeBSD Foundation Status Report

   Contact: Deb Goodkin <deb_at_FreeBSDFoundation.org>

   We raised $325,000 towards our goal of $350,000 for 2010! This will
   allow us to increase our project development and equipment spending for
   2011.

   We were proud to be a sponsor for EuroBSDCon 2010, BSDDay Argentina
   2010, MeetBSD California 2010, and NYBSDCon 2010.

   Completed the Foundation funded projects: DAHDI Project by Max Khon and
   BSNMP Improvements by Shteryana Sotirova.

   We kicked off a new project by the University of Melbourne called
   Feed-Forward Clock Synchronization Algorithms Project. The Five New TCP
   Congestion Control Algorithms for FreeBSD Project by Swinburne
   University also officially started.

   We continued our work on infrastructure projects to beef up hardware
   for package-building, network-testing, etc. This includes purchasing
   equipment as well as managing equipment donations.

   Stop by and visit with us at FOSDEM (Feb 5-6), SCALE (Feb 26),
   AsiaBSDCon (March 17-20), and Indiana Linuxfest (March 26).

   Read more about how we supported the project and community by reading
   our end-of-year newsletter at:
   http://www.FreeBSDFoundation.org/press/2010Dec-newsletter.shtml.

   We are fund-raising for 2011 now! Find out more at
   http://www.FreeBSDFoundation.org/donate/.

The FreeBSD German Documentation Project Status Report

   Contact: Johann Kois <jkois_at_FreeBSD.org>
   Contact: Benedict Reuschling <bcr_at_FreeBSD.org>

   The committers to the German Documentation Project managed to update
   the German documentation just in time to get the changes included into
   the next FreeBSD releases. The website translations were also kept in
   sync with the ones on FreeBSD.org.

   We tried to re-activate committers who did not contribute for some time
   but most of them are currently unable to free up enough time. We hope
   to gain fresh contributor blood as we are getting occasional reports
   about bugs and grammar in the german translation.

Open tasks:

    1. Submit grammar, spelling or other errors you find in the german
       documents and the website.
    2. Translate more articles and other open handbook sections.

The FreeBSD Japanese Documentation Project

   Contact: Hiroki Sato <hrs_at_FreeBSD.org>
   Contact: Ryusuke Suzuki <ryusuke_at_FreeBSD.org>

   Although there is no radical change in this effort since the last
   report, the www/ja and doc/ja_JP.eucJP/books/handbook have constantly
   been updated. During this period, generating translated RSS feed for
   newsflash was started and links to the manual pages were fixed in the
   Books and Articles documentation. Some more progress has been made in
   the Porter's Handbook and Contributing to FreeBSD as well.

Open tasks:

    1. Further translation of the FreeBSD Handbook and contents of the
       www.FreeBSD.org website to the Japanese language.
    2. Pre-/post-commit review of the translation.

TRIM support for UFS

   Contact: Kirk McKusick <mckusick_at_FreeBSD.org>
   Contact: Konstantin Belousov <kib_at_FreeBSD.org>

   TRIM support for UFS is implemented in HEAD. Potentially, this may
   increase the steady speed and longevity of SSDs.

   Due to concerns with the speed of TRIM operations on many SSDs, and not
   a lot of experience with the real-world behaviour, the support is off
   by default, and should be enabled on the per-filesystem basis.

Webcamd

   Contact: Hans Petter Selasky <hselasky_at_FreeBSD.org>

   Webcamd is a small daemon that enables about 1500 different USB based
   webcam, DVB and remote control USB devices under the FreeBSD-8.0 and
   later operating system. The webcam daemon is basically an application
   which is a port of Video4Linux USB drivers into userspace on FreeBSD.
   The daemon currently depends on libc, pthreads, libusb and libcuse4bsd.

   During Q3 2010 webcamd got manpages thanks to Dru Lavigne.

Open tasks:

    1. I hope to get a Google summer of code project this year building
       the default Linux Kernel 2.6.37+ and allowing use of relevant Linux
       USB device drivers under FreeBSD. Webcamd is not a replacement for
       native FreeBSD kernel drivers and will only be used when no
       existing FreeBSD drivers exist for a given device staying clear of
       any GPLv2 issues. If you are a student and/or is interested in
       participating in such a project feel free to send an e-mail to
       hselasky_at_FreeBSD.org.

xz Compression for Packages and Log Files

   Contact: Martin Matuska <mm_at_FreeBSD.org>

   Creating and processing xz-compressed packages is now supported by
   pkg_create(1), pkg_add(1) and bsdtar(1) in both 9-CURRENT and 8-STABLE.
   Users can test working with .txz packages by adding "PKG_SUFX=.txz"
   into /etc/make.conf.

   The ports-mgmt/portupgrade utility supports .txz packages from version
   2.4.8 and a patch for ports-mgmt/portmaster has been submitted but not
   yet accepted by the author.

   A patch for newsyslog(8) with a rewrite of the use of compression tools
   supporting xz compression is under maintainer review.

Open tasks:

    1. Import xz(1) compression support into newsyslog(8).
    2. Add .txz package support to ports-mgmt/portmaster.
    3. Add .txz package support to the FreeBSD port building cluster
       (pointyhat).
    4. Test building all packages in .txz format and compare results with
       .tbz.

ZFS pool version 28

   Contact: Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd_at_FreeBSD.org>
   Contact: Martin Matuska <mm_at_FreeBSD.org>

   A new version of the ZFS pool v28 patch was released for testing, this
   time for 9-CURRENT and 8-STABLE. Compared to the previous patch it does
   include updated boot support, improved sendfile(2) handling, a
   compatibility layer with older ZFS and several other bugfixes.

   If there are no major issues we can expect ZFS v28 imported into the
   FreeBSD-CURRENT after 8.2 is released.

Open tasks:

    1. Import of ZFS v28 into FreeBSD-CURRENT.

            2011 The FreeBSD Project. All rights reserved.