Re: Thoughts on TMPFS no longer being considered "highly experimental"

From: Ulrich Spörlein <uqs_at_spoerlein.net>
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2011 21:15:30 +0200
On Fri, 01.07.2011 at 11:33:42 -0400, Sean M. Collins wrote:
> On 7/1/11 2:42 AM, Stefan Bethke wrote:
> > The box shouldn't wedge in this situation.  If tmpfs can create
> > a memory starvation situation on the kernel level, it is not
> production ready.
>
> The full message was "swap zone exhausted, increase kern.maxswzone" - I
> guess that actual swap wasn't exhausted, but just space for metadata. So
> in tmpfs' defense,  AMD64 boots with a kern.maxswzone of 32MB like i386,
> which only allows ~7 GB of swap to be allocated.
>
> I'll see if I can get the machine to wedge again, then increase
> kern.maxswzone, and repeat.

You just cannot use them both, yet. On amd64 with 8GB of RAM and a ZFS
volume that is a couple of hundred G (and world-readable)

- Run with tmpfs /tmp
- Wait overnight for /etc/periodic/weekly/310.locate to kick in
- Come back next morning and have 0 bytes free in /tmp

Exporting the pool might bring the memory back, but with open files on
the pool and of course in /tmp (think Xorg ...) this is impractical.

Uli