Re: Problems with cvsup on FreeBSD 9, AMD64, osreldate: 900038

From: jhell <jhell_at_DataIX.net>
Date: Sat, 2 Jul 2011 23:25:53 -0400
On Sat, Jul 02, 2011 at 04:33:39PM +0100, Vassilis Laganakos wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am facing the same problems as Holger here:
>
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2011-June/025205.html
>
> although CVSup dies in gmtime_r in libc.so.7:

>      Updating collection src-all/cvs
>      Edit src/UPDATING
>
>      Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
>      0x000000002ca10fb9 in gmtime_r () from /lib/libc.so.7
>
> See full gdb backtrace at:
>
>      http://www.pastie.org/pastes/2154271
>
> So I'm now stuck in osrel 900038... I guess I need to rebuild libc.so.7
> with debugging symbols to find out what is going wrong there.
>
> Any quick ideas on how to correct this, or if someone else is seeing
> this issue?

Use csup(1) in base. This is in 7, 8 & 9. cvsup has been deprecated for
much longer than it really needed to be and should probably be removed
from use as a client entirely and links generated for installation of
cvsup -> csup.

Only drawback for you may be no X interface but it really was not that
pretty in the first place and served no real good purpose over the
functionality of the command line client.

An alternative if you need and X interface is creating a icon on your
desktop that runs ( xterm -e csup /path/to/supfile ) or something
similiar.