Re: Can options NFSD and NFSSERVER exist in the same kernel?

From: Steve Kargl <sgk_at_troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2011 18:48:06 -0700
On Wed, Jul 06, 2011 at 08:57:53PM -0400, Rick Macklem wrote:
> Steve Kargl wrote:
> > So, I upgraded a system from Feb 10 -current to today's
> > -current code. In doing so, I changed the kernel config
> > options from
> >
> > options NFSCLIENT # Network Filesystem Client
> > options NFSSERVER # Network Filesystem Server

> > options NFSCL # Network Filesystem Client
> > options NFSD # Network Filesystem Server
> >
> > rebuild and install the kernel. Upon rebooting, I'm greeted
> > with a
> >
> > Jul 6 16:09:41 node16 root: /etc/rc: WARNING: Unable to load
> > kernel module nfsserver
> >
> > Of course, it can't load nfsserver because I don't use modules
> > nor build them. So, why is the system trying to load a nfsserver
> > module? Because, my /etc/rc.conf contains
> >
> > nfs_client_enable="YES"
> > nfs_server_enable="YES"
> >
> > if I change this to
> >
> > nfs_client_enable="YES"
> > nfsv4_server_enable="YES"
> >
> > The system no longer tries to load nfsserver upon rebooting.
> > Unfortunately, this has the effect that no nfsd daemons are
> > started. Well, I can start the daemons post-booting.
> >
> > node16:root[139] /etc/rc.d/nfsd start
> > Cannot 'start' nfsd. Set nfs_server_enable to YES in /etc/rc.conf or
> > use 'onestart' instead of 'start'.
> >
> Assuming you've upgraded your /etc/rc.d scripts to those in head, then
> try deleting /etc/rc.d/nfsserver. (This script just tries to load the
> old server even though you don't need it unless you want to run the old
> one.)
>
> Or you can build a kernel with both
> options NFSD
> options NFSSERVER
> to make it happy.

Thanks for the quick response.  I was not sure if these could
co-exist in a kernel.  Good know that they can.   I found that
if I include both

nfs_server_enable="YES"
nfsv4_server_enable="YES"

I everything (obviously) works as expected.  Perhaps, updating
the UPDATING entry that notes that OPTIONS NFSD is now in
generic is enough.

> I'll try posting to rc_at_ to see if I can get rid of /etc/rc.d/nfsserver.
>
> Thanks for pointing this out. I had forgotten about deleting this (and
> was until recently confused about when obsolete files get deleted).
>
> If you still have problems after deleting /etc/rc.d/nfsserver (assuming
> your /etc/rc.d scripts are up-to-date), please let me know.

I'll try deleting nfsserver tomorrow morning.

PS: My intentions are to run your new server (and client) on
my cluster to see if I can break them.  Why else run -current?

:-)

--
Steve