Re: Heavy I/O blocks FreeBSD box for several seconds

From: Steve Kargl <sgk_at_troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2011 20:11:51 -0700
On Thu, Jul 07, 2011 at 10:39:00AM +0800, Adrian Chadd wrote:
> On 7 July 2011 09:51, Steve Kargl <sgk_at_troutmask.apl.washington.edu> wrote:
> > On Thu, Jul 07, 2011 at 09:17:51AM +0800, Adrian Chadd wrote:
> >> Offer a bounty for getting it fixed?
> >>

> > steve == ENOMONEY && jeffr == ENOTIME
> >
> > And, 4BSD works.
>
> I meant it as a more general observation.
>
> If something doesn't work as needed, consider either diving in to fix
> it, or offering a bounty to someone to do so.

Or take the path of least resistance, use 4BSD, and get my actual work.

I diagnosed the problem.

I gave a fairly easy method for reproducing the problem
(including providing a statically linked MPI program, and
a script and data files to launch it).

I offered access to one of the nodes in my cluster (including
root access to install new kernels and to reboot the node).

Unfortunately, I have neither the brain capacity and time nor
the money to fix the issue.  To solve OP's problem in the
short, the simplest solution may be to switch to 4BSD.  Let's
face, ULE is not a silver bullet.

--
Steve