Re: em problem in virtualbox since the weekend

From: John Baldwin <jhb_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2011 07:41:26 -0400
On Tuesday, July 19, 2011 10:35:42 pm Steve Wills wrote:
> Hi,
>
> While testing some other things, I found -CURRENT from yesterday doesn't
> work with the em0 in my VirtualBox 4.0.8 (a little out of date
> admittedly). It worked Friday or Saturday I think. Anyone else seen this
> or should I open a PR? Has the code changed or am I perhaps
> misremembering dates? The error reported is:
>
> em0: Unable to allocate bus resource: memory
> em0: Allocation of PCI resources failed

This is due to a bug in VirtualBox's BIOS implementation.  Someone should file
a bug report with VirtualBox to ask them to fix their BIOS.  The problem is
that they claim that the Host-PCI bridge in their system only decodes
addresses 0xa0000-0xbffff (i.e. the VGA window) via the "Producer" resources
in the _CRS method of the Host-PCI bridge device.  This tells the OS that all
the existing PCI devices are using invalid memory address ranges but that
there is also no available address space to allocate for PCI devices such as
em0.

You can workaround this by setting "debug.acpi.disabled=hostres" until
VirtualBox fixes their code.  I'm happy to provide further clarification to an
existing VirtaulBox bug report if needed.

--
John Baldwin