Re: em problem in virtualbox since the weekend

From: Jung-uk Kim <jkim_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2011 18:37:05 -0400
On Thursday 21 July 2011 11:53 am, John Baldwin wrote:
> On Wednesday, July 20, 2011 6:22:33 pm Steve Wills wrote:

> > > FreeBSD just started honoring this setting in the BIOS this
> > > week and ignored it previously.  Can you get an acpidump from
> > > within VirtaulBox?  I might be able to point to a bug in it
> > > directly if so.
> >
> > Thanks for the info! I've attached the acpidump and also posted a
> > copy here:
> >
> > http://people.freebsd.org/~swills/vbox-4.0.8.asl.gz
> >
> > in case the mailing list eats it.
>
> Hmm, so there does look to be a reasonable _CRS method.  Oh, I
> think I see what I don't like:
>
>                 DWordMemory (ResourceProducer, PosDecode,
> MinNotFixed, MaxFixed, Cacheable, ReadWrite, 0x00000000,         //
> Granularity
>                     0x00000000,         // Range Minimum
>                     0xFFDFFFFF,         // Range Maximum
>                     0x00000000,         // Translation Offset
>                     0x00000000,         // Length
>                     ,, _Y01, AddressRangeMemory, TypeStatic)
> It should be using MinFixed, not MinNotFixed.

Actually, I am responsible for this:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/ports/emulators/virtualbox-ose/files/Attic/patch-src-VBox-Devices-PC-vbox.dsl?rev=1.1;content-type=text%2Fplain

I believe this patch was submitted upstream later.

> Author: jhb
> Date: Thu Jul 21 20:43:43 2011
> New Revision: 224254
>
> Log:
>   Allow non-fixed endpoints for a producer address range if the
>   length of the resource covers the entire range.  Some BIOSes
>   appear to mark endpoints as non-fixed incorrectly (non-fixed
>   endpoints are supposed to be used in _PRS when OSPM is allowed to
>   allocate a certain chunk of address space within a larger range, I
>   don't believe it is supposed to be used for _CRS).

No, _CRS can use MinNotFixed (and MaxNotFixed).  You can find similar
examples from ACPI spec.

Jung-uk Kim