Re: chromium port causing massive I/O faults

From: Matthias Andree <matthias.andree_at_gmx.de>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2011 02:14:44 +0200
Am 24.07.2011 23:25, schrieb Alexander Best:
> hi there,
>
> i noticed that chromium, expecially in combination with nspluginwrapper and
> flash, is causing a lot of I/O faults. i ran 'top -mio -I -n 999999' and after

It's causing page faults, which is a massive difference.

> only ~ 4 hours of running chromium (most of the time not loading any new
> pages), i got the following data:
>
> last pid: 39976;  load averages:  0.37,  0.26,  0.19  up 3+02:38:30    23:15:26
> 72 processes:  2 running, 70 sleeping
>
> Mem: 755M Active, 662M Inact, 447M Wired, 51M Cache, 212M Buf, 45M Free
> Swap: 10G Total, 159M Used, 10G Free, 1% Inuse

> ... is anybody else experiencing the same behavior? i also noticed a massive
> fault burst (~ 1500/sec), when closing chromium.

Is that special to Chrome or -CURRENT? Or does it also happen with
Firefox, for instance, or on -STABLE?  I suppose FF might cause even
more, it readily consumes 1.5 GB on my Linux computer after some time
running.

A page fault affecting 1500 pages/s (note it's "s" NOT "sec"!) amounts
to 6 MB/s which appears to be on the comfortable side for any halfway
modern system.

Page in/page out is quite normal behaviour for any system that has swap
space available and is running (especially idle) applications with
nontrivial memory requirements and ultimately filling up its ram.  At
some point in time, when applications have been idle for long enough,
it's more useful to page out unused pages and use them as cache instead.

Why would a swap usage of 8% of physical RAM size be a reason for
concern on a 2 GB RAM 64-bit computer?