Re: ichwd0: unable to reserve GCS registers

From: John Baldwin <jhb_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2011 08:34:28 -0400
On Saturday, July 30, 2011 02:49:52 AM Andriy Gapon wrote:
> on 19/07/2011 18:16 John Baldwin said the following:
> > Hmm, can you get devinfo -r output from a working kernel with ichwd
> > loaded? You might be able to just build the kernel with 'nooptions
> > NEW_PCIB'.
>
> I believe that I've got a similar problem with amdsbwd(4).
> It needs some resources (I/O ports) that belong to ACPI.
> The problem is that the driver attaches to isa bus which is under
> isab->pci->pcib and those particular resources are not assigned to the
> Host-PCI bridge.
>
> I think that you already made a suggestion that perhaps isa bus should
> directly attach to acpi bus when acpi is available.  Not sure if there are
> any alternative approaches.

Actually, my suggestion was the other way around (we should move certain ACPI
devices down behind isab so they are behind the Host-PCI bridge as they are in
hardware).  In this case the BIOS clearly does not list the reosurces for the
GCS as valid resources for the Host-PCI bridge.  This is part of the reason
that I added the 'debug.acpi.disable="hostres"'.  One thing we may be able to
do is allow non-wildcard requests that are outside the range to still pass if
they are in ACPI's system resource range perhaps.

--
John Baldwin