Re: [poll / rfc] kdb_stop_cpus

From: Andriy Gapon <avg_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2011 17:20:31 +0300
on 04/06/2011 12:11 Robert N. M. Watson said the following:

> On 4 Jun 2011, at 09:22, Andriy Gapon wrote:
>> commit 458ebd9aca7e91fc6e0825c727c7220ab9f61016
>>
>> generic_stop_cpus: move timeout detection code from under DIAGNOSTIC
>>
>> ... and also increase it a bit. IMO it's better to detect and report the
>> (rather serious) condition and allow a system to proceed somehow rather than
>> be stuck in an endless loop.
>
> Agreed on detecting and reporting. It would be good to confirm that it works in
> practice, however,

What is your concern here? :)
The code seems rather simple - the loop is no longer infinite.

> and also that there are no false positives. I'm not sure
> what the best test scenarios are for that.

As to the false positives - I think that that can only be verified by practice
(very wide testing), because that would greatly depend on hardware.
Maybe we should use some time-based approach instead of the iteration count
approach or maybe we should calibrate the iteration count based on hardware
characteristics...

--
Andriy Gapon