Re: Boot halts on Thinkpad X220 (Sandy Bridge)

From: John Baldwin <jhb_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2011 14:04:36 -0400
On Monday, May 16, 2011 2:57:21 pm Johannes Dieterich wrote:
> On 05/16/2011 03:40 PM, John Baldwin wrote:
> > On Sunday, May 15, 2011 8:09:21 pm Johannes Dieterich wrote:
> >> Hello everybody,
> >>
> >> on a Thinkpad X220 (Sandy Bridge/Cougar Point based) the installation
> >> medium loads but halts during boot. I tested the following versions of
> >> FreeBSD
> >>
> >> * 8.2-RELEASE
> >> * 9-CURRENT (latest official snapshot from 02/2011)
> >> * 9-CURRENT (latest snapshot from Nathan Whitehorn as of 20/04/2011 [1])
> >> * 9-CURRENT (own release medium as of today prepared with the
> >> generate-release script)
> >>
> >> With 8.2, I see the same error messages as [2] with PCBSD-8 (not
> >> surprising, of course, but please note that there is no Firewire in this
> >> notebook). I do not see what the error message is with 9.0 before it
> >> halts. Anyway, according to Kris Moore this is a "known issue with
> >> FreeBSD". I have not found anything about such problem in the mailing
> >> list archives (apologies if I am wrong).
> >>
> >> Therefore my question simply is, whether this problem is known and (if
> >> yes) there is a fix or workaround available for CURRENT.
> >>
> >> If needed, I can post a dmesg of a successful boot of the
> >> openSUSE-11.4-LiveCD as reference (not doing so now because I assume the
> >> list will anyway eat the attachment). Also, I can provide whatever can
> >> be obtained using said Linux.
> >>
> >> Thanks a lot or any replies! :-)
> >
> > Hmm, is this booting amd64 or i386?  Can you try i386 if you haven't?  If
i386
> > doesn't work at first, you might need to try disabling APIC via 'set
> > hint.apic.0.disabled=1' at the loader prompt.
> The i386 image as of 11/04/2011 of Nathan Whitehorn booted into the live
> system without problems. The hint was not needed.
>
> Please find a verbose dmesg at http://pastebin.com/4UTHsg7F
>
> Does this tell you anything?
>
> If you (or anybody else) should need anything more, just let me know how
> to obtain it! :-)

I think this should be fixed by recent changes to the atkbd driver in HEAD
by Jung-uk Kim.  I'm not sure if there is a newer snapshot built yet, but
perhaps you can try booting a HEAD kernel into single user mode (will probably
blow up due to not liking /sbin/init) on your i386 world (would need to
use a cross-build (so 'make TARGET=amd64 kernel-toolchain; make TARGET=amd64
buildkernel', etc.) as a test?

--
John Baldwin