Re: rc.d script to load kernel modules

From: Jason Hellenthal <jhell_at_DataIX.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2011 15:42:37 -0400
On Sun, Jun 12, 2011 at 03:24:40PM -0400, Gary Palmer wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 12, 2011 at 02:56:31PM -0400, Jason Hellenthal wrote:
> > So technically here a ZFS only install is lacking the speed in which
> > modules are loaded. I would prefer to find out why and fix that before
> > we go about adding new functionality to rcNG.
>
> As I believe Doug has already said, its not just loading modules from ZFS.
> In my experience, loading modules via loader.conf from UFS on i386 is
> significantly slower than once the kernel has booted on both of my systems
> here.  I think I've tried it and its not a disk thing as its slow loading from
> flash media also.

Yes I agree. I was just stating that simply for the previous post
implying where ZFS was slower than UFS. I would believe there is some
sort of memory restriction or constraint or some sort of routine that is
preventing them from being loaded nearly as fast as when the kernel is
already fully loaded. This to me seems like a worthwhile problem looking
into if it can be fixed.