Re: rc.d script to load kernel modules

From: jhell <jhell_at_DataIX.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2011 13:38:01 -0400
On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 09:23:14AM -0700, Julian Elischer wrote:

> >> disk after the system is partially booted. (As in, 2-3 seconds per
> >> module vs. nearly instantaneous for all 6.)
> >>
> >> I didn't offer my list as an example of what to do, I offered it as a
> >> syntax example. I would of course expect people to use appropriate
> >> discretion to load things in loader.conf that are necessary for boot.
> >> (Of course, the fact that people can easily get this wrong is a strike
> >> against the technique.)
> >>
> >> There is no point in having an _enable for this script because if the
> >> kld_list is empty, nothing happens.
> >>
> > Doug's solution is what we have been using for a very long time!
> >
> > the loader.conf solution is not practical when it's shared among many
> > hosts -like here where most of the hosts are dataless-, so, moving the not
> > essential ones to rc.conf was the obvious solution.
>
> what would be REALLY cool would be the ability to make loader.conf
> have some sort of conditional
> clauses..
>
> e.g. if MAC== 01:02:03:04:05:06
>            blah

That is a really fine idea. I would suppose that the ability to add this
would be pretty tough considering the constraints of most systems.

If the loader could just take care of just loading and there was some
sort of "stub" system in place for the modules, kind of like a module
place holder that knows when where and how to load the modules on demand
then I would believe that achieving the above would become very
practicle. Sort of like what GEOM is but for modules.