Re: problems with cvsup on FreeBSD 9 snapshot 201101

From: Eric McCorkle <eric_at_shadowsun.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2011 10:59:45 -0400
On 6/15/11 10:46 AM, Holger Kipp wrote:
> Ah, ok.
>
> Do we have a compiler switch to force stack alignment to 16-Byte-boundaries? Otherwise I am really concerned that we might have similar wrong pieces of code lurking unnoticed in other binaries as well :-/
>
> My cvsup binary is:
>
> # file /usr/local/bin/cvsup
> /usr/local/bin/cvsup: ELF 64-bit LSB executable, x86-64, version 1 (FreeBSD), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for FreeBSD 9.0 (900029), stripped
>
> Best regards,
> Holger
(Accidentally replied directly to you, cc'ing list)

It's certainly possible, though GCC aligns the stack correctly, or else
nothing would work.  CVSup is written in Modula 3.  I checked the stack
alignment option for FBSD_AMD64, and it is sure enough set to 16.  My
guess is somewhere in the native call interface, something's not being
done right.

I ran into a similar problem when porting the mlton compiler to Mac OS a
couple of years back.

--
Eric McCorkle
Computer Science Ph.D student,