Re: best way to do FreeBSD kernel/userland development on OSX ?

From: <mdf_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2011 13:44:33 -0700
On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 1:53 PM, Luigi Rizzo <rizzo_at_iet.unipi.it> wrote:
> i recently replaced my laptop with a mac, which opens the problem on
> how do i do FreeBSD development (including kernel work) on it.
>
> the option i am trying now is running a freebsd VM in virtualbox,
> but it is slightly slow and probably energy hungry.
>
> I'd like to keep the svn checkut outside the disk image but
> unfortunately the default filesystem on osx is case-insensitive
> so i can't do that -- unless someone shows me how to change
> the filesystem conventions.
>
> suggestions anyone ?

With the help of google I did something for this a few months ago.
You can create a new disk image, and use case-sensitive for this
image.  I created mine as something like 8GB but thinly provisioned so
it didn't take up all the space until used.

I use VMWare for testing code changes ($WORK paid for a license for
me), but it's a CPU/battery hog, so I'm not wild about it, but it does
work.

Cheers,
matthew