Re: Exactly that commit (was Re: Latest -current 100% hang at the late boot stage)

From: Andriy Gapon <avg_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2011 15:51:36 +0300
on 22/06/2011 23:09 Kenneth D. Merry said the following:
> The GEOM event thread is stuck sleeping in the mtx_sleep() call above.  So
> that tells me that one of several things is going on:
>
>  - There is a path in the cd(4) driver where it can call cam_periph_hold()
>    but not cam_periph_unhold().
>
>  - There is another thread in the system that has called cam_periph_hold(),
>    and has gotten stuck before it can call cam_periph_unhold().
>
>  - The hold/unhold logic is broken, and there is a case where a thread
>    waiting for the lock can miss the wakeup.  After looking at the code, I
>    don't think this is the case, but I may have missed something.
>
> So it is probably one of the first two cases.  From the dmesg, I only see
> cd1 listed, not cd0.  So it is possible that cd0 is stuck in the probe code
> somewhere, and the geom code just gets stuck trying to open it when the
> probe hasn't completed.
>
> Seeing the stack trace for the taskq thread that is running on CPU 0
> (process 100014) might be enlightening, it's hard to say.  That may or may
> not show the issue.
>
> It's possible that this issue is directly related to the commit in
> question; perhaps there is an error being returned that wasn't returned
> before and it isn't being handled right in the cd(4) driver.  (The cd(4)
> driver wasn't touched in the commit.)
>
> It's also possible that the commit in question just changed the timing and
> your system is hitting a race that was there previously.

I have a suspicion that this is actually the case.
More than once I've seen under qemu that the kernel boot non-deterministically
gets stuck in the cd driver.  Other people have also bumped into this.
E.g., here's one of the reports that I googled up, it's not exactly the same as
what ache has reported, but somewhat similar:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2010-October/020336.html

--
Andriy Gapon