GHC Port on 9-CURRENT

From: Eric McCorkle <eric_at_shadowsun.net>
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2011 20:13:30 -0400
The GHC (Glasgow Haskell Compiler) was marked broken by pointyhat
sometime back in May, following its update to GHC 7.0.3_1.  I'm not sure
if anyone has looked at this, but it doesn't appear anyone has.  Sorry
if any of this is repeated.

I tried building the port yesterday, with both GCC and Clang.  The GCC
build succeeds, and the compiler seems to work just fine (it has no
trouble compiling and installing the haskell-platform port, as well as
many of my own haskell programs).

With Clang, an error occurs in one of the configure scripts, because
Clang warns about unused command-line arguments, and the configure
script assumes that to be a compiler error.  You can deal with this by
adding -Qunused-parameter to CFLAGS.  With this, it builds the bootstrap
and stage 1 compilers.  However, the stage 1 compiler's parser appears
to be broken, as it reports erroneous parse errors on the GHC compiler's
source code (and probably for any haskell program, but it never gets a
chance to).  I'm not sure why this happens, but I will investigate more
closely once I deal with some more important issues I'm investigating.

In any case, the port builds fine with GCC.  Perhaps it would be prudent
to set CC=gcc and CXX=g++ in the makefile for the time being and mark
the port as working again?

--
Eric McCorkle
Computer Science Ph.D Student,