Re: /var/crash permissions

From: jhell <jhell_at_DataIX.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2011 18:59:29 -0400
On Sun, Jun 26, 2011 at 11:33:00PM +0200, deeptech71_at_gmail.com wrote:
> the FreeBSD Developers' Handbook recommends /var/crash to have
> drwx------ permissions [1]. ``make installworld'' alters those
> permissions to drwxr-x---. one of the two is trolling. which one?
>
> [1] http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/developers-handbook/kerneldebug.html#KERNELDEBUG-OBTAIN

It used to be that the permissions were as stated in the handbook but
were changed to allow access to the directory by those in group wheel.
But as the files that are still created in that directory are still
created with a umask of 077 the directories mode being 750 doesnt make
any sense as the files there are still not readable by anyone but root
owned processes.

At this time I would say that the handbook should be changed to reflect
its current mode of 750 since its easy to alter the contained files than
it is for a user to mess with mtree permissions if they want wheel users
to have access to that directory.