Re: Can't update CLang-based system

From: Dimitry Andric <dim_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2011 18:22:02 +0100
On 2011-02-28 08:55, Doug Barton wrote:
> I have a different problem on r219092. Everything builds find, but
> "linking kernel.debug" hangs forever. It can't even be killed with ^C.
> My existing system is r218985M, which was built with clang. This is my
> first time trying to build a system with clang ON a system that was
> itself built with clang (if that makes sense).

In r219139, I've checked in a temporary workaround for this problem.

Long story short, there's a bug in clang's integrated assembler, which
sometimes causes malloc initialization to hang indefinitely in threaded
statically linked executables (such as the bootstrap copy of ctfmerge).

You might need to rebuild and install libc first, to get a good copy of
ctfmerge, though.  This is because the bootstrap copy of ctfmerge is
linked with /usr/lib/libc.a, which might contain a bad version of
malloc.o.