Re: Request for review/testing: switching the default installer

From: Nathan Whitehorn <nwhitehorn_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2011 10:11:47 -0600
On 03/02/11 10:06, TAKAHASHI Yoshihiro wrote:
> In article<4D6BB5E3.6020408_at_freebsd.org>
> Nathan Whitehorn<nwhitehorn_at_freebsd.org>  writes:
>
>> BSDinstall has acquired at this point its final form (prior to a
>> future merge with pc-sysinstall), and I believe is ready to replace
>> sysinstall on the 9.0 snapshot ISOs. Barring any objections, I would
>> like to pull this switch 2 weeks from today, on the 14th of March.
>>
>> A patch to the release infrastructure code can be found here (make
>> release must be run with Makefile.bsdinstall using this patch to get
>> non-sysinstall media):
>> http://people.freebsd.org/~nwhitehorn/bsdinstall-release.diff
> In Makefile.bsdinstall:
>
> +cdrom:
> +       echo kernel_options=\"-C\">  ${DISTDIR}/release/boot/loader.conf
> +       sh /usr/src/release/${TARGET}/mkisoimages.sh -b FreeBSD_Install ${DISTDIR}/release.iso ${DISTDIR}/release
> +       rm ${DISTDIR}/release/boot/loader.conf
>
> ${TARGET} must be ${TARGET_ARCH} because pc98 and sunv4 don't have
> mkisoimages.sh script.

I was thinking of just copying the i386/mkisoimages.sh and making the -G
behavior the default. It seems to me to make more sense to use MACHINE
than MACHINE_ARCH for this, since pc98 seems to have different
requirements than i386. We could just copy the sparc64 install script
for sun4v.
> Do you have a plan to add a floppy support as boot device?  Pc98
> machines which can boot from CD-ROM are very limited.  So we usually
> use FD for boot media to install.

No, I hadn't thought about this. If there aren't any machines you care
about that don't have a CD drive at all, we could try a
CD-bootloader-on-a-floppy as a solution. I think a totally floppy based
install would be very difficult to arrange, however.
-Nathan