Re: urtw0: could not allocate USB transfers

From: Bernhard Schmidt <bschmidt_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2011 12:45:51 +0100
On Thursday, March 03, 2011 12:26:20 Etienne Robillard wrote:

> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Many thanks. This explains the change of behavior attempting to kldload
> >> runfw.ko
> >> without the firmware assist module. :)
> >>
> >> However I find strange that run(4) requires such a firmware to be preloaded
> >> when the rt2870 driver doesn't require it!
> >>
> >> Cheers,
> >>

> > Maybe that's due to a missing MODULE_DEPEND() line in the .c file of urtw0.
> >
> > --HPS
> >

> Hi,
>
> Thanks for the input. I realize the urtw(4) and the pseudo rt2870 drivers
> may be missing a MODULE_DEPEND macro but this issue is not as annoying
> than the repeated page faults happening when the card is trying
> to reassociate itself with a router.

urtw(4) has no firmware, run(4) has the appropriate depend line. The
rt2870 driver is not in-tree, contact the maintainter.

> I also noticed the same (random) page faults with the run(4) driver as
> well but since I don't use a driver
> requiring a external firmware to be loaded, I would prefer fixing the
> errors in the generic
> wireless code happening unconditionally with run(4), rt2870, and
> possibly urtw(4). Plus,
> a external firmware seems not necessary for using at least the TEW-644UB
> wireless adapter!

You should by now have noticed that you can't use a Realtek driver with
a Ralink chipset, or the other way around. So please stop calling both
broken in one mail. Also, again, the rt2870 driver isn't in-tree,
contact the maintainer.

--
Bernhard