Re: Request for review/testing: switching the default installer

From: Freddie Cash <fjwcash_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2011 12:24:20 -0800
On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 6:49 AM, Nathan Whitehorn
<nwhitehorn_at_freebsd.org> wrote:
> BSDinstall has acquired at this point its final form (prior to a future
> merge with pc-sysinstall), and I believe is ready to replace sysinstall on
> the 9.0 snapshot ISOs. Barring any objections, I would like to pull this
> switch 2 weeks from today, on the 14th of March.
>
> A patch to the release infrastructure code can be found here (make release
> must be run with Makefile.bsdinstall using this patch to get non-sysinstall
> media):
> http://people.freebsd.org/~nwhitehorn/bsdinstall-release.diff
>
> Test ISOs for amd64 and i386 can be found here:
> http://people.freebsd.org/~nwhitehorn/bsdinstall-amd64-20110222.iso.bz2
> http://people.freebsd.org/~nwhitehorn/bsdinstall-i386-20110224.iso.bz2
>
> More recent test ISOs, as well as ones for other architectures, may be
> available at:
> http://wiki.freebsd.org/BSDInstall

Any chance of a memstick.img version being made available?

Or, does anyone have instructions on how to convert the ISO images
into memstick images?  Preferably using a Linux station, not a FreeBSD
station.

I have a beautiful 24-drive system here just crying out for testing
9-CURRENT and ZFSv28, but it doesn't have any bootable media except
USB sticks.  And the 2011-01-* memstick snapshot of 9-CURRENT fails
with "can't create device node in /dev" errors when trying to newfs
the CompactFlash disk that will be /.

--
Freddie Cash
fjwcash_at_gmail.com