Re: [TESTING] ssse3 backport from gcc 4.3

From: David Schultz <das_at_FreeBSD.ORG>
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2011 16:18:20 -0500
On Wed, Mar 09, 2011, Martin Matuska wrote:
> I have prepared a patch that finishes the "core2" support part and
> backports from gcc-4.3
> the SSSE3 instruction set (-mssse3, -mno-ssse3).
> It is enabled for -march=core2 by default.
>
> Testing and comments are welcome.
>
> Patch:
> http://people.freebsd.org/~mm/patches/head-gcc-ssse3.patch
>
> The backport covers three GPLv2 revisions from gcc 4.3:
> http://gcc.gnu.org/viewcvs?view=revision&revision=117958 (applies cleanly)
> http://gcc.gnu.org/viewcvs?view=revision&revision=121687 (small adjustment)
> http://gcc.gnu.org/viewcvs?view=revision&revision=121726 (small adjustment)
> http://gcc.gnu.org/viewcvs?view=revision&revision=123639 (small adjustment)

Cool.  Ccing gerald_at_, who has requested that he be kept in the
loop on gcc changes in the tree.

The proliferation of -mno-sse -mno-sse2 -mno-sse3 options in the
makefiles is probably not needed: I'm pretty sure -mno-sse implies
the other two, unless -msse3 is specified explicitly.

One suggestion from prior experience merging upstream gcc changes:
Peruse the bug database for anything significant that was reported
or fixed after the above patches were merged.