Re: status of WITHOUT_SYSINSTALL

From: b. f. <bf1783_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2011 01:13:03 +0000

I thought that Alex was going to follow up on this (cf.
http://markmail.org/message/bkbygrx5z5ascukh ) with Warner.

Please, no.  Just turn the bits of it that were disabled back on, and
finish implementing it, as the two of you suggested earlier.
Especially since the default installer may be changed, and most people
may not need or want it.

> >>     The build didn't even really function when specifying
> >> WITHOUT_SYSINSTALL before Nate's recent commits -- so why worry about
> >> the state of things?
> >
> > due to inconsistency? src.conf says WITHOUT_SYSINSTALL will not build
> > sysinstall(1). that's obviously wrong.
>
>     I think this context was forgotten:
> http://markmail.org/message/fk2xqlrtvljjo3rf

Yes, please preserve the context next time.

>     Also:
>
> $ find /usr/src/ -name 'Makefile*' | xargs grep WITHOUT_SYSINSTALL
> $ echo $?
> 1
> $ svn info /usr/src/ | grep Revision | sed 's,Revision: ,,'
> 219120
>
>     Doesn't look like this sentinel is honored anywhere.

? bsd.own.mk, where it's transformed into a MK_SYSINSTALL value that
is referenced elsewhere, although not everywhere it should be.  But
you know this already, as shown in your previous patches!

b.