Re: ZFSv28, zfs list behaviour and sysutils/freebsd-snapshot

From: J. Hellenthal <jhell_at_DataIX.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 02:44:16 -0400

On Thu, 10 Mar 2011 08:17, mikael.urankar_at_ wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using sysutils/freebsd-snapshot to make periodic ZFS backup snapshot
> and this soft is broken since the upgrade of my pool to ZFSv28.
> After some debugging it appears that "zfs list" behaviour has changed
> with ZFSv28, and since freebsd-snapshot relies on "zfs list" to retrieve
> the "ZFS file system name" from the "mountpoint name" the soft doesn't
> work anymore.
>
> output of "zfs list" on a 8.2R amd64 (ZFSv15) :
> zfs list /home/murankar
> NAME                 USED  AVAIL  REFER  MOUNTPOINT
> tank/home/murankar  1.47M  1.59T  1.47M  /home/murankar
>
> zfs list tank/home/murankar
> NAME                 USED  AVAIL  REFER  MOUNTPOINT
> tank/home/murankar  1.47M  1.59T  1.47M  /home/murankar
>
> on a 9-Current amd64 I've got no output for "zfs list /home/murankar"
> and a exit code of 1
> the output of "zfs list tank/home/murankar" is correct :
> NAME                 USED  AVAIL  REFER  MOUNTPOINT
> tank/home/murankar  6,56G   286G  6,55G  /home/murankar

Looking at the output here I am hoping that this is not hand typed! the
character ',' appears in this output which might fool a script into doing
other things if it has not been avoided in the first place.

If you have upgraded that machine to 9-CURRENT and have
sysutils/zfsnap installed I would recommend deleting any snapshots
that you have before it runs the snapshot scripts. This assumes that the
snapshot script might have changed since you upgraded it and that the
snapshot names are different. Better to be on the sane side.

See UPDATING/20100929 for reference.

# Correct syntax:
zfs list pool/dataset1/dataset2

# Incorrect syntax: ( I hope you were hand typing that and missed... )
zfs list /dataset1/dataset2

> Is it the normal behaviour for ZFSv28 or some kind of regression ?

No its not normal, and some sort of regression possible. Though I usually
take regression as performance issues as in speed.

Also,

pkg-descr
freebsd-snapshot is a set of convenience front-end tools to mount(8)
and mdconfig(8) for the management of UFS2 snapshots.  It is
also the under-lying tool used in the periodic snapshot
scheduler periodic-snapshot(8) and the mounting/unmouning
command in the amd(8) map /usr/local/etc/amd.map.snap. It
provides the making, expiring, visiting, mounting and
unmounting of filesystem snapshots.

pkg-descr
zfSnap is simple sh script to make rolling zfs snapshots with cron. Main
advantage of zfSnap is that it's written in %100 pure /bin/sh, doesn't
require any additional software to run, and is simple to use.

zfSnap keeps all information about snapshot in snapshot name. zfs snapshot
names are in form: Time-stamp--TTL where time-stamp is date and time of
snapshot creation and TTL is Time To Live in human readable form.

Did you happen to mix the above two up ? If so then rinse and repeat.

Good luck,

- --

  Regards,

  J. Hellenthal