Re: HEADSUP: BSD iconv coming to the base system with default off

From: Gabor Kovesdan <gabor_at_kovesdan.org>
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2011 02:55:15 +0000
Hi Alexander,
> for whatever historic reason I had WITH_ICONV in /etc/make.conf on my
> desktop, so I got to be your guinea pig without conscious consent for
> that role on my part. I did hit several issues so far:
thanks for your valuable comments about iconv and I'm sorry that you had
to try it out without explicit willingness. I didn't count with such
special cases like this one.

Unfortunately, for a short period I've run out again of free time but
I'll work out the solution for the problems you described. I'd like to
comment on only one specific one now, the modular architecture. As you
might know this implementation comes from the Citrus Project and the
original authors designed it in such a way for flexibility and easy
extensibility. It is modular at various levels of abstraction. Maybe
this modularity isn't really required in real life and reducing the
overhead from module handling the performance may improve. But so far I
haven't investigated on such changes because I wanted to concentrate on
the functional part first, but in the future, I'll definitely consider
changes on the modular architecture.

Gabor