Re: WITHOUT_JAIL and make delete-old{,-libs}

From: Arnaud Lacombe <lacombar_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 14:31:28 -0400
Hi,

[added freebsd-jail_at_freebsd.org to CC: list]

On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 2:04 AM, David Demelier
<demelier.david_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> On 20/03/2011 17:31, Alexander Leidinger wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 08:34:51 +0100 David Demelier
>> <demelier.david_at_gmail.com>  wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I was surprised to see there is no ${MK_JAIL} conditional to remove
>>> old files on 8.2-RELEASE so I started to write it without watching if
>>> -CURRENT already make it in
>>> /usr/src/tools/build/mk/OptionalObsoleteFiles.inc.
>>>
>>> .if ${MK_JAIL} == no
>>> OLD_FILES+=usr/sbin/jail
>>> OLD_FILES+=usr/sbin/jexec
>>> OLD_FILES+=usr/sbin/jls
>>> OLD_FILES+=usr/share/man/man8/jail.8.gz
>>> OLD_FILES+=usr/share/man/man8/jexec.8.gz
>>> OLD_FILES+=usr/share/man/man8/jls.8.gz
>>> .endif
>>>
>>> I personnaly added more files :
>>>
>>> OLD_LIBS+=lib/libjail.so.1
>>> OLD_LIBS+=usr/lib/libjail.a
>>> OLD_LIBS+=usr/lib/libjail_p.a
>>> OLD_FILES+=usr/lib/libjail.so
>>> OLD_FILES+=etc/rc.d/jail
>>
>> So if you do an installworld, do those files you added show up again or
>> not? If they show up, they are wrong to be added there. Delete old is
>> supposed to delete stuff which does not get installed during an
>> installworld but was installed in some older version of FreeBSD. From
>> my reading of the Makefile in src/lib/ (on -current) it looks like at
>> least the libjail is installed regardless of the knob. I do not know if
>> this is a bug or by design, this would have to be discussed on the
>> mailinglist which is about FreeBSD jails.
>>
>> If those files are not installed during an installworld, it's obviously
>> a bug which needs to be fixed (and I would have misunderstood the
>> Makefile).
>>
>>> (/usr/lib/libjail.so is a symbolic link)
>>>
>>> I think they should be removed too, thus can you merge it to -STABLE
>>> if it's not already done? (sorry I'm not used to the cvs web
>>> interface and I don't have -STABLE right now)
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>

> No I understood why, that's because a lot of userland programs that can
> handle jails processes are linked to the libjail such as top, ifconfig, ...

I happened to have made a patch for ifconfig, see attachment. AFAIT,
buildworld builds fine with WITHOUT_JAIL=1, so there should not be
further build dependency.

 - Arnaud