Re: bsdinstall-amd64-20110313 remarks

From: Michael Reifenberger <mike_at_reifenberger.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 21:49:33 +0100 (CET)
On Mon, 21 Mar 2011, Nathan Whitehorn wrote:
>> - Does the usage of a "dangerously dedikated disklabel" give any advantage?
>
> Not that I can think of -- I'm not sure about maximum disk sizes for pure
> BSD-label disks. It's a legitimate option, though, for people doing manual
> configuration.

The question was only ment for the use of "dangerously dedikated disklabel"
by the memstick itself.
I have no opinion for use by the patitioner.

>> - The usage of an UFS-Label for root mounting should be more flexible
>
> Yes. It is somewhat difficult however, to cross-correlate gpart labels for
> GPT, APM, and PC98, with the labeled provider names (the label is not UFS
> labels, but gpart ones).

ditto.

>> - The first dialog step should set the keyboard layout
>
> That *is* the first step.

Inside the bsdinstaller, yes.
The very first dialog step is the welcome page.
Inside "Shell" or "Live CD" youl'll not get asked.

>> - The /etc is not writable which would greatly reduce the usefulness for
>> the ISO
>>   image (no modified resolv.conf, sshd_config, ...)
>
> This is only partly true. /etc/resolv.conf is a symlink into /tmp, which
> allows DHCP and network configuration to work.

I still prefer a standard /etc with writable entries.
Less special and more POLA.

Thanks for your work on bsdinstaller anyhow!

Bye/2
---
Michael Reifenberger
Michael_at_Reifenberger.com