Re: graid hit the tree

From: Alexander Motin <mav_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2011 11:38:35 +0200
Alex Dupre wrote:
> Alexander Motin ha scritto:
>> I've just committed the new GEOM-based software RAID driver (graid) into
>> the HEAD [1]. Brave testers are welcome. :)
>
> Supposing they are equally stable, is it now better to use graid instead
> of gmirror (et similar)?

You can choose. Their functionality is comparable, but with graid:
 - you can boot from any RAID level when RAID BIOS is present; you can
more or less boot from gmirror, but not from gstripe, graid3 or graid5;
 - RAID BIOS will know about failed, rebuilding, etc drives and will be
able to boot properly;
 - you can share/access RAID volumes with other OSes.

--
Alexander Motin