Re: [ECFT] pkgng 0.1-alpha1: a replacement for pkg_install

From: Baptiste Daroussin <bapt_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2011 15:14:52 +0100
2011/3/25 Alexander Leidinger <Alexander_at_leidinger.net>:
> Quoting Baptiste Daroussin <bapt_at_FreeBSD.org> (from Fri, 25 Mar 2011
> 11:11:11 +0100):
>
>> pkgng is a binary package manager written from scratch for FreeBSD.
>
> I didn't had a look at it, just some comments about some parts you
> explained.
>
>> features supported are or will be :
>
>> - the register command can analyse elf files when registering a new port
>> discover forgotten dependencies if necessary. (done in alpha using libelf)
>
> This will probably fail if LD_LIBRARY_PATH is used, or if we are installing
> linuxulator ports.

this isn't activated by default, and if activated is only intended to
work on freebsd elf files.
This is done to workaround some bugguy ports not to be used in
production, pkg register shows in warning in that case so that
user/maintainers are warned they have something to fix.

>> - a special architecture "all" allows to specify when a package can be
>> used
>> on every architecture. (not done yet)
>
> What if a package is able to install on a subset, e.g. the linuxulator ports
> are for amd64 and i386?

No clue for that at the moment but we are open to suggestions.

> What about DB corruption/loss? Do you keep the /var/db/pkg/<package>/xxx
> files even with pkgng and only use the DB as a way to speed up some work (so
> the DB corruption just requires to run pkg2ng), or are you lost of the DB is
> lost?

Nothing is done about DB corruption/loss, I am not sure we need to do something.
Maybe.
Currently a filesystem corruption/loss on /var/db/pkg would do the same.

but it is sqlite so we can perhaps provide a way to get compressed
dump so user can periodically backup their database.

regards,
Bapt