Re: [ECFT] pkgng 0.1-alpha1: a replacement for pkg_install

From: Baptiste Daroussin <bapt_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2011 16:41:34 +0100
2011/3/25 Pietro Cerutti <gahr_at_freebsd.org>:

>> > I would say "for sure". Info: In Solaris 10 sqlite is used for the service
>> > managenemt framework (SMF). It is possible that the DB is corrupt in some
>> > bad situations. In this case you have to rebuild the DB (script provided,
>> > been there, had to use it).
>>
>> If sqlite is properly used with transactions, it is very hard to
>> corrupt the database. But if hardware lies to us and say that the data
>> is on disk whereas it isnt... what can we do?
>> Another potential problem is fsync(), but if it is broken on FreeBSD
>> we want to fix it!
>>
>> BTW, the goal is to only have the database and not the flat files.
>> If you are paranoid about power outage, use something like zfs snapshots...
>
> No need to look for strange scenarios, I'm surely going to sudo rm -f the file
> more sooner than later, so... maybe just save a copy?
>
> --
> Pietro Cerutti
> The FreeBSD Project
> gahr_at_FreeBSD.org
>
> PGP Public Key:
> http://gahr.ch/pgp

I think we can provide a periodic script activable by users (I let
other decide if it has to be activated by default or not) that does a
pkg backup /path/to/file/backup
and xz it.

because copying can be a huge.

40Mo for the database here, corresponding to 70Mo in the old format
and to 600 packages. the dump xzed is only 3Mo

regards,
Bapt