Re: tzsetup disregards setting TZ to UTC

From: David Cornejo <dave_at_dogwood.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2011 13:24:11 -1000
On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 10:15 AM, Matthew Seaman <
m.seaman_at_infracaninophile.co.uk> wrote:

> On 28/03/2011 12:08, Matthias Andree wrote:
> > Perhaps the installer should instead:
> >
> > display CMOS and system time, and ask which one of them is correct, and
> > offer a third option to actually correct the timezone or time if neither
> > is correct.
> >
> > That's much easier to grasp.
>
> ... and a 4th option for when both are correct.  Happens quite a lot
> round these parts in the winter.  However, there are very few people for
> whom DST is the same as UTC.
>
>        Cheers,
>
>        Matthew
>
> --
> Dr Matthew J Seaman MA, D.Phil.                   7 Priory Courtyard
>                                                  Flat 3
> PGP: http://www.infracaninophile.co.uk/pgpkey     Ramsgate
> JID: matthew_at_infracaninophile.co.uk               Kent, CT11 9PW

To me it seems that the fault is that I can find no way in tzsetup to
specify UTC.  Though it seems the system defaults to UTC if you don't run
tzsetup anyway, so maybe it would suffice to just say not to do that.
 (tzsetup is a no-op anyway if you're using UTC since in either case the
system RTC would be set to UTC)

While I don't follow the lists religiously, this is the first time in many
years that I've seen someone make this complaint and I'd rather not change
it.

dave c