Re: ZFS dedup and temporary freeze

From: Alexander Leidinger <Alexander_at_Leidinger.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 09:53:04 +0200
Quoting George Kontostanos <gkontos.mail_at_gmail.com> (from Tue, 29 Mar
2011 17:57:49 +0300):

> I thought that jails would be a good candidate for dedup. So far I am using
> it without any issues in my /usr/src and /virtualBox directories.

No idea about your problem, but ezjail is already doing some dedup.
The basejail is the dedup-place, and the jails do a null-mount of it.
Inside the jails are only some links to the basejail. So if you do not
install the same programs (the same packages, so make sure there is no
different compile timestamp (some programs have this) inside the newly
generated binaries) or data inside the jail-specific area, you will
not have a benefit from this.

Bye,
Alexander.

--
Real programmers never work 9 to 5.  If any real
programmers are around at 9 a.m., it's because they

http://www.Leidinger.net    Alexander _at_ Leidinger.net: PGP ID = B0063FE7
http://www.FreeBSD.org       netchild _at_ FreeBSD.org  : PGP ID = 72077137