Re: problems with em(4) since update to driver 7.2.2

From: Jack Vogel <jfvogel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2011 09:48:11 -0700
This problem happens for only one reason, you have insufficient mbufs to
fill your rx ring. Its odd that it would differ when its static versus a
loadable
module though!

With the 7.2.2 driver you also will use different mbuf pools depending on
the MTU you are using. If you use jumbo frames it will use 4K clusters,
if you go to 9K jumbos it will use 9K mbuf clusters. The number of these
allocated by default is small (like 6400 small :).

I would use 'netstat -m' to see what the pools look like. Now that I think
about it, the reason it might fail as loaded while not as built in is you
get
allocation of the mbufs first when static, and something else is taking them
before you can load when loadable??

I suspect all will be fine if you increase the pool size that you are using.

Jack