"RPC: program not registered" with new NFS server?

From: Garrett Cooper <yanegomi_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 1 May 2011 14:22:11 -0700
Hi Rick, et all,
    I upgraded to a later kernel on two of my machines and am running
into issues starting up the nfs kernel. Every time I try mounting like
so:

# mount -t nfs localhost:/scratch/ /mnt/

    or like so:

# mount -t oldnfs localhost:/scratch/ /mnt/

    I run into this error:

[tcp] localhost:/scratch: RPCPROG_NFS: RPC: Program not registered
[tcp6] localhost:/scratch: RPCPROG_NFS: RPC: Program not registered

    I kldloaded nfsd, and then could start the mountd and nfsd
services (this made some of my problems go away, in particular
showmount -e looks sane), but things aren't sane. I know that nfs
client capability works because I can mount remote NFS shares via amd
and raw nfs mounts with another machine that I haven't upgraded and
things are fine, but the server appears to be completely broken on my
machines.
    Here is the configuration:

$ grep NFS /root/FALLOUT
#options                NFSCL
#options        NFSCLIENT               # Network Filesystem Client
#options        NFSSERVER               # Network Filesystem Server
#options        NFSLOCKD                # Network Lock Manager
#options        NFS_ROOT                # NFS usable as /, requires NFSCLIENT
$ grep nfs /etc/src.conf
MODULES_OVERRIDE+=      krpc nfscommon nfscl nfsclient nfsd nfslockd nfsserver

# rc.conf snippet...

rpcbind_enable="YES"
mountd_enable="YES"
rpc_lockd_enable="YES"
rpc_statd_enable="YES"
nfsd_enable="YES"

    If someone can provide me with sane details about how to setup
either v3 or v4 and get things going again with NFS, that would be
awesome, as this will block me from doing other tasks tomorrow at
$WORK unless I downgrade to an earlier version of CURRENT (in
particular I know that my directions differ from what's suggested in
the handbook, and the handbook directions don't work with my setup
shown above).
Thanks,
-Garrett