Re: firewire debugging

From: Peter Grehan <grehan_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Mon, 09 May 2011 17:21:13 -0600
Hi Julian,

> does anyone know if there is a limitation on firewire debugging on a
> machine with > 4GB or memory?

  I don't know of any Firewire cards that support physical access
*above* 4GB. They may exist.

  For instance, the (last?) Texas Instruments PCIe 1394a/b chip, the
XIO2213B, has the following text in it's data sheet -

 >The physical upper bound register is an optional register and is
 >not implemented.

  .. and this is the firewire OHCI register that contains the upper 16
bits of the architected 48-bit physical address.

  So, you can probably use it for some form of amd64 kernel debug since
kernel txt/data/bss is < 4G, but accessing anything above 4G won't work.

later,

Peter.