Re: Boot halts on Thinkpad X220 (Sandy Bridge)

From: Daniel Staal <DStaal_at_usa.net>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2011 12:31:12 -0400
(Sorry I can't reply to anyone, I just joined the list.  I saw this
discussion in the archives and thought I should join in.)

I've managed to boot a X220i using -CURRENT as of last night.  I got some
help on -questions to get it done though.  From a blank machine, you'll
need either a non-USB boot device with FreeBSD media (untested) or a USB
keyboard.  If you are using a USB keyboard

set hint.atkbd.0.disabled=1

to install, and use the USB keyboard during installation.  Then on the
first reboot in the BIOS set 'USB UEFI BIOS' to disabled.  (This means you
can't boot from a USB device.)

At that point, the machine will boot fine.  I've tried 8.2-RELEASE, the
last amd64 -CURRENT I could find on the FreeBSD website, and -CURRENT as of
2011-05-16.

I'm building a couple of ports at the moment, and want to reboot with a
couple of config changes in the loader to see if I can get the WiFi
recognized.  As soon as I do that I can post my dmesg someplace.

Daniel T. Staal

local copyright law.