Re: Boot halts on Thinkpad X220 (Sandy Bridge)

From: Matt <sendtomatt_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2011 23:09:18 -0700
On 05/17/11 16:50, Johannes Dieterich wrote:
> On 05/17/2011 06:31 PM, Daniel Staal wrote:
>> (Sorry I can't reply to anyone, I just joined the list.  I saw this
>> discussion in the archives and thought I should join in.)
>>
>> I've managed to boot a X220i using -CURRENT as of last night.  I got
>> some help on -questions to get it done though.  From a blank machine,
>> you'll need either a non-USB boot device with FreeBSD media (untested)
>> or a USB keyboard.  If you are using a USB keyboard
>>
>> set hint.atkbd.0.disabled=1
>>
>> to install, and use the USB keyboard during installation.  Then on the
>> first reboot in the BIOS set 'USB UEFI BIOS' to disabled.  (This means
>> you can't boot from a USB device.)
>>
>> At that point, the machine will boot fine.  I've tried 8.2-RELEASE, the
>> last amd64 -CURRENT I could find on the FreeBSD website, and -CURRENT as
>> of 2011-05-16.
>>
>> I'm building a couple of ports at the moment, and want to reboot with a
>> couple of config changes in the loader to see if I can get the WiFi
>> recognized.  As soon as I do that I can post my dmesg someplace.
> Thanks a lot for the very valuable hint! :-) Booting the amd64
> installation medium works now, I will report after the install whether
> the second part also works for me (but I am pretty sure of it).
>
> Thanks a lot again! :-)
>
> Johannes Dieterich

I'm not on a sandy bridge, but a core2 based lenovo thinkpad (SL410, I
seem to have this thing fully supported finally...f-keys, sd card etc!).
I've noticed that BTX halts about 60% of the time for me via DVD. My
keyboard also does not work at login prompt or elsewhere (during
fsck...faster!) until after about 2-3 keypresses, after which it's fine.
BTX via CD/DVD actually seems to work better if i start impatiently
hitting the keyboard when "-" appears.

I'm not sure if this is a related issue. I also had amd64 btx problems
on a Dell desktop, so it might be a SATA/scsi/cam timeout thing. Never
had a problem on server hardware, although most of those boxes were
Opterons (and thus associated chipsets).

I've come to view FreeBSD dvd boots as a form of gambling.

Matt