Re: ZFS install from -CURRENT snapshot

From: Daniel Staal <DStaal_at_usa.net>
Date: Mon, 30 May 2011 13:04:20 -0400
--As of May 30, 2011 6:47:32 PM +0300, George Kontostanos is alleged to
have said:

> The bootcode should be installed to the drive that you are booting from.
>
> I see that you have:
>
>> ada1:
>>   1 freebsd-boot
>>   2 freebsd-swap  8G
>>   3 freebsd-zfs   4G (zil)
>>   4 freebsd-zfs   17G (cache)
>>
>> ada0: Managed by ZFS, ~250G  Main filesystem.
>
> I don't think that ada1 holds any OS files therefore you will need to boot
> from ada0
>
> gpart create -s gpt ada0
> gpart add -b 34 -s 64k -t freebsd-boot ada0
> gpart bootcode -b /boot/pmbr -p /boot/gptzfsboot -i 1 ada0

--As for the rest, it is mine.

I said that was my preferred partitioning.  I had tried others.  ;)  I just
double-checked putting the bootcode on ada0.  It doesn't help.

(Note that if it did that'd be an interesting regression from 8.2.  My home
server is running with *only* the bootcode on one drive, and the OS loaded
from a ZFS RAIDZ array.)

Daniel T. Staal

local copyright law.