Re: ZFS install from -CURRENT snapshot

From: Alexander Leidinger <Alexander_at_Leidinger.net>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 16:04:49 +0200
Quoting Daniel Staal <DStaal_at_usa.net> (from Mon, 30 May 2011 11:01:06 -0400):

> --As of May 29, 2011 9:10:57 AM -0400, George Kontostanos,
> freebsd-current_at_freebsd.org is alleged to have said:
>
>> --As of May 29, 2011 12:06:30 PM +0300, George Kontostanos is alleged to
>> have said:
>>
>>> The new bsdinstall has a different layout so the previous guides don't
>>> work. I have prepared one that works for recent 9-Current at :
>>>
>>> "http://www.aisecure.net/?p=132"
>>
>> --As for the rest, it is mine.
>>
>> Thanks, that's about what I expected the install procedure to be at this
>> point.  Nice to have the reminder about the zpool.cache.   (Do I have to
>> use the Live CD mode?  Can I use shell mode instead?)
>
> --As for the rest, it is mine.
>
> Ok, I've tried shell mode and live CD mode.  I've re-partitioned my
> disks several different ways.
>
> Nothing gets me a system that will actually boot.  Or even recognize
> that there is an OS loaded anywhere.  Help?

I did it like this:
http://www.leidinger.net/blog/2011/05/03/another-root-on-zfs-howto-optimized-for-4k-sector-drives/

> (My preferred partitioning:
>
> ada1:
>    1 freebsd-boot
>    2 freebsd-swap  8G
>    3 freebsd-zfs   4G (zil)
>    4 freebsd-zfs   17G (cache)
>
> ada0: Managed by ZFS, ~250G  Main filesystem.

You show the boot partition on ada1, but you do not tell if ada0 has a
boot partition too or not. Did you try to have the boot partition on
the same disk as the pool?

I hope ada1 is a SSD. If not, it does not make much sense to have a
cache there (a cache needs to have lower latency than the main pool, I
do not expect that just another spindle gives a significant perf
improvement).

Bye,
Alexander.

--
Please don't put a strain on our friendship
by asking me to do something for you.

http://www.Leidinger.net    Alexander _at_ Leidinger.net: PGP ID = B0063FE7
http://www.FreeBSD.org       netchild _at_ FreeBSD.org  : PGP ID = 72077137