RE: Adding disk firmware programming capability to camcontrol

From: Chris Rees <utisoft_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2011 16:47:10 +0000
On 4 Nov 2011 16:33, "Pegasus Mc Cleaft" <ken_at_mthelicon.com> wrote:

> >>        To me, the only difference between borking a drive because of
> >> bad firmware and typing "rm -rf *" from root is about £40.  You still
> >> lose at least a day rebuilding/restoring everything.
> >>

> >You clearly haven't bought a hard drive recently.
> >
> >Chris
>
> Laughs!
>
>        Yea, trust karma to insert my foot into my mouth when I open it to
> speak 8-)

Never mind ;)

I do take issue with this viewpoint however; in documentation this is the
difference between Caution (you may lose data) and Warning (you may break
your hardware).

Why should the software be inconsistent with the hardware? I think an
option *specifically for this task* would be useful as confirmation.

I'm really sorry for bikeshedding; the code and idea is excellent, but I
feel this issue is important!

Chris