FreeBSD 9.0-RC1/FreeBSD 10.0-CURRENT (amd64, CLANG): in some clients hitting backspace or arrow keys results in crashing client

From: O. Hartmann <ohartman_at_zedat.fu-berlin.de>
Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2011 09:46:37 +0100
Operating systems in question: FreeBSD 9.0-RC1/amd64 and FreeBSD
10.0-CURRENT/amd64, both compiled with CLANG.

It happens that when using clients with requester for pathnames (like
evim, thunderbird, mozilla and others) that typing some attributes into
the requester-inputline and then hitting backspace or the arrow keys for
editing a possibly wrong entry, the client crashes.

I realized that this very often occur with locales set to non "C".

Such a weird behaviour occured also on a Dell Latitude E6510 with
FreeBSD 9.0-CURRENT earlier this year compiled with CLANG and compiler
option -march=native or -march=corei7 (this laptop does have a Lynnfield
dualCore i5 CPU). Whenever I hit backspave in the console of such a
compiled system, the console exited and I found myself back at the login
prompter again.
This vanished after setting explicitely -march=core2.

The boxes now in question are both older CoreDuo architectures (Q6600
and E8400 CPUs). The backspace/arrow-key weirdness occures not on the
consoles anymore, but it happens that clients with files requester or
entry fields for some data input exiting, when hitting backspace or,
say, the back-arrow key.

Today I realized this in evim when being asked for a file to open and I
made a typo. It seems, that the error occurs more often if the locale is
set to non-C standard (in my case, its partially set either to
de_DE.UTF-8 or de_DE.ISO8859-1 or en_US.UTF-8).

Regards,
Oliver