Re: Netgear WNA1000N USB wlan device

From: Glen Barber <glen.j.barber_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2011 09:30:35 -0500
On 11/10/11 3:38 AM, Hans Petter Selasky wrote:
> On Thursday 10 November 2011 06:56:23 Glen Barber wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Netgear has these neat little USB micro wireless network adapters[1]
>> that one could plug in and forget about without fear of, for example,
>> breaking the device.
>>
>> Said devices are really nice for those of us without supported
>> integrated wireless chipsets, such as those found in late 2010 MacBooks,
>> or anything manufactured by Dell recently...
>>
>> The only problem is that the device itself is not supported.
>>
>> The device appears to have a RealTek RTL8188CUS chipset (vendor 0846,
>> device 9041), which, without knowing much more about the device, I
>> suspect could work with the urtw(4) driver.  However, my feeble attempts
>> at simulating support for the device ended, well, as expected.  :)
>>
>> Is someone out there interested in undertaking the task of tweaking the
>> driver code (if it's feasible in this case, of course) to get this
>> device supported?  I suspect more people than just me would be greatly
>> appreciative of support for it.  :)
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Glen
>>
>> [1] -
>> http://www.totobay.com/netgear-wna-1000-n-150m-wireless-usb-adapter_p29987.
>> html
>
> Hi,
>
> Could you dump the device descriptor using usbconfig and Google the .idVendor
> and .idProduct values?

Hi,

Of course.  Here is the device dump:

  # usbconfig -d ugen2.5 dump_info
  ugen2.5: <product 0x9041 vendor 0x0846> at usbus2, cfg=0 md=HOST
spd=HIGH (480Mbps) pwr=ON

Searching for "vendor 0x0846 product 0x9041" seems to give many of the
same results.  Is there anything in particular I can add to the search
that would be helpful?

Thanks for the response.

Glen

--