Re: Use of newest version number such as 10.0 instead of current

From: Mehmet Erol Sanliturk <m.e.sanliturk_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2011 08:17:52 -0500
On Fri, Nov 11, 2011 at 8:04 AM, Chuck Burns <break19_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> On Friday, November 11, 2011 07:29:46 AM Mehmet Erol Sanliturk wrote:
> -(snipped stuff)-
>
> > This is preventing testing and / or using efforts .
> >

> > I know , it is possible to rename local link names , but
> > everyone is not so much knowledgeable .
> >

> > Thank you very much .
> >
> > Mehmet Erol Sanliturk
>
> Quite honestly, if someone isn't that knowledgeable, then they probably
> shouldn't be running current.  In fact, the handbook even states that. I
> don't
> really see an issue here.  -current is a bleeding edge development release,
> that must be built from source, and SHOULD always point to the latest
> source
> code.

My sentence is NOT about "Current" , but 9.0 RC1 .
Perhaps , you will NOT say , if a person is NOT knowledgeable , he should
NOT use 9.0 RC1 .

> If you are using pkg_add -r <pkgname> to install software, on anything but
> release versions, you should expect breakage.
>
> If you do not wish to build from source, then you should probably stick to
> release versions.
>
> Chuck Burns

Up to now , my most disappointed situation is that , there is NO any
tendency to
lower required expertise level to use FreeBSD .
Such an approach is confining FreeBSD to a small number of elite users
 when compared to millions of Linux users let alone hundred millions of
some other operating systems which they are approaching to billions when
version users are summed in spite of paying money also .

Thank you very much .

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk